erbauer 18V drill not working

Hmm, wonder if the team could give an opinion

I took down my 18v cordless erbauer drill (2years old from Screwfix) from its shelf in the nice dry shed where it lives, to drill a few holes today, and after making sure the battery packs were charged tried using it, and .... nothing, nada zip, zilch not even a glimmer of life.

I checked the battery packs and they seem to be correctly charged up (now any how) so I guess the motor has seized or something similar. I haven't used the drill for about 6 months, but it was working fine last time out.

Is it worth my while taking the casing off to have a look and lubricate what I can get to, or am I just better giving up and getting a new/replacement.

It's not like I used it non-stop for constructing decking or anything, it's literally only been used for light domestic hole drilling (a couple of wall shelves and the odd guttering bracket) I'm not very impressed with it's lack of longevity.

thanks in advance dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Always worth a look even if only to deteremine why it has failed

Regards

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Lube wont solve anything. More likely a dead switch, or dead control electronics. If you have a multimeter you might find it.

NT

Reply to
NT

Under or over 2 years? Screwfix guarantee Erbauer for two years, don't they?

Reply to
mike

Does the chuck turn by hand? If so then that suggests its not seized solid, and the fault is probably electrical.

It would be worth cleaning the battery contacts on both the pack and the drill. Then if that does not help, taking it apart and tracing through with a voltmeter to see ho far the volts get.

Reply to
John Rumm

Chuck won't turn if there is a brake. My money would be on the switch but no way to confirm without dismantling. If out of warrenty what's to lose? I have a couple of Erbauer things, I'm not a huge fan.

Reply to
Newshound

Silly question . . . You have checked that the forward/reverse/lock switch isn't in the lock position?

Assuming it isn't, clean the contacts on the battery *and* drill, like John R says.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Switch contacts come to mind. If these are cheapo brass, then they can very quickly get tarnished enough to just not work. No idea how you get in to have a look though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Contact Screwfix. They are fairly good about warranties. If it is under 2 years, they will fix it. If it is over 2 years you may have to speak to a customer services manager, but if you point out that it is reasonable to expect a decent quality tool to last more than 2 years in light DIY use, they should sort it out. You may have to mention the sale of goods act etc. I had a chop saw that failed after about 2 and a half years, and with only a bit of persuasion, they refunded the purchase price.

andrew

I will probably try this and also try cleaning the switch and battery contacts. Thanks to all who replied.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic