18 volt battery in 12 volt drill?

I've run a 14 volt drill with a 12 volt battery....has anyone run an 12 volt dewalt drill with an 18 volt battery....I have two 12 volt drills but would like to use the more powerful batteries. Thanks

Paul

Reply to
asweread

That sound you hear is your drill's motor burning up.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Some tool makers use different contact configurations, so that you can't over volt a drill. 18 volts in a 12V drill is a bit too much. I wouldn't.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most likely there would be no problem. The limiting factor is the size of wire their used in the motor. I devised a way to use four batteries for an old two battery screwdriver. Worked wonderfully.

Reply to
Rich

Right. I've run double and triple the rated voltage on DC drills. I've abused them terribly and almost never burn up a motor because of it. If you check the motor manufacturer's specs you will see that the motors are rated for quite a range of voltages. If you have a source of donor parts or the drill in mind is expendable, then have fun and go for it. Custom made tools are great.

Reply to
Professor

The motor may handle it but you have electronics and gearing to consider, it seems everyday products get cheaper, so do the internals.

Reply to
m Ransley

They are likely throw aways anyway, so if they fit, have at it. It will NOT likely harm your battery.

This morning, I took one of my 16.8 volt drill batteries apart and found the bad cell and replaced it with a cell from a 9.6 volt battery (which I had trashed because it had a bad cell also). It works wonderfully, even if the battery was smaller in physical size than the

16.8 batteries.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

I have found the batteries to be too inconvienient to use, regardless of the voltage. So, I went out and bought a new Dewalt and wired it directly to the 120v house current. I also built an adaptor for it so that it runs on 240 for those really tough jobs.

Reply to
Matt

Matt get a transformer 480v works best.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hey! I never thought of that. Will do!!!!!

Reply to
Matt

I doubt that for those voltage (6 to 18 volt) the electronics should not be a problem. The motors and electronics may well be the same for all units from a given manufacturer. And the electronics doesn't amount to much of anything anyway. Not even as involved as variable speed AC motor drives.

Reply to
Rich

Folks, Matt and Ransley here just might be dumb enough to plug therir DC drill into the AC socket or an AC transformer, but trust me it will blow your circuit breaker very fast. Sometimes it will blow so fast that the drill will survive it. You can use an AC step down transformer that will put out 10 amps or more, but that's expensive unless you already own one. A DC drill operated in this fashion has no where near the power (watts) of a low cost AC drill with a cord. There are ways to beef up your DC drill. However, don't listen to these fools. They have not done anything themselves.

Reply to
Professor

The electronics amount to everything if they blow.

Reply to
m Ransley

WHAT you mean my 3.6v B&D cant take 440 AC so far it works great ! Gee Ive got 3, 220 - 110 transformers from Europe and I was just going to inline one more for 880v AC. Aw I gonna try it anyway an 880v ac B&D Kick ass.

Howabout an 880v coffemaker , makes a pot in 6 seconds flat. And my slow ceiling fan, yep 440 just might do it there also.

Reply to
m Ransley

I just checked a 12 volt typical drill. The "electronics" consistes of a switch and an RFP50N05 (50 Ampere, 50 volt, .022 Ohm, N-Channel Power MOSFET). So it will work with anything up to 50 volts and 50 Amperes.

So if you want to go to a larger battery and are still worried about blowing something open it up and take at look at what is used inside. Wonder where I can get a 40 volt battery to put on it???

Reply to
Rich

The key is the 50 amp rating. My RC car 7cell - 8.4v needs a 30 amp fuse it blows 20amp. Nicads can dump alot of power. And for a drill you dont want to get near its rating you just shorten its life.

Reply to
m Ransley

I agree. Folks, don't listen to this 'professor' guy - the only thing he can safely profess is that he is a dipshit. EVERYONE knows that there is no real difference between AC and DC - that whole thing was a conspiracy to defraud the public. Your power tools, coffee makers, TVs , stereos, ALL OF IT - will run longer, faster, and better on 880v +.

Reply to
Matt

Well, if you get a dewalt cordless drill, and then build an adaptor for it, to run on house power. Havn't you just reinvented the electric plug in drill?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, only better. Nobody ever had a 240v cordless corded portable drill before.

Reply to
Matt

Im tired of electric, im putting in my RC cars 35000rpm nitromethane gas motor and clutch in my drill, now thats power to screw.

Reply to
m Ransley