18 volt battery in 12 volt drill?

I bet. I'll also bet you didn't use ballasts to balance the batteries, and their life was awfully short, but then it "worked", right?

Reply to
Pop

You got that right. And since engineers design to limits, it's pretty UNlikely a 12V unit has 18V components. Nine to 12 maybe, but not 18. These guys must be loved by the battery and replacement parts shops, or they use their equipment a few seconds at a time once or twice a year. Then, even IF the components can live thru 18V vice 12, it's a pretty sure thing the motor/stator windings weren't designed to dissipate that much heat. Sooner or later one of these guys will set the drill down after a prolonged session, the core temp will work its way out thru the windings, and drip possibly flaming plastic or winding cement onto the bench, and start a fire with it, and then blame the manufacturer for their house burning down. Way too many people think batteries are "safe" and that they never heat up. The best part is the failure of a 12V while it's on an 18V charger; it's usually a pretty site, at first. When a battery core's max temp is exceeded, it almost always explodes or vents with great gusto, especially the types used in power tools. If you want to see a really pretty site, try a lead-acid on a bigger charger; it's prettier yet, all that carbon to burn off. Watch someone come back and say those batteries can't vent 'cause they have no vents .

Don't drink & drill.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

LOL! That's ALL that has to dissipate any power? Whooooo, woooo! Great discovery, Tim!

Now tell me this: what is the maximum core temp rating for any of the windings? Or the commutator max current? These guyys need to go do some research. Badly!

Reply to
Pop

LOL!!!! Your tongue must be danged near sticking out thru your cheek by now! Hey, I got an old 10,000V oil burner xfmr; yeah! Let's try that one Tim!

Reply to
Pop

Should be really stupendous on my 10kV xfmr then, eh? No, wait! I got a big, OLD, color TV out in the shed; what's that, 22kV? Hey, I'll have all you guys beat! I'll post back when I git it woikin'.

Reply to
Pop

Oh yeah: They're called stationary 240V cordless corded mini-portable drills!

Reply to
Pop

Been a long time since I"ve had this much fun just TALKING about screwin'!

Well, gotta go look for that xfmr now. Hmm, think I had a conductformer somewhere, now where did I put that?

Reply to
Pop

I put instant coffee in the microwave oven and went back in time. -- S.Wright

Reply to
TCS

Charging a 12v in an 18 volt charger will not hurt the 12v battery if it is a modern peak charger as most good chargers are. Peak is detected by Voltage drop of cells. RC chargers can , depending on model charge 4-

16 cells, voltage is the same it is amps that control rate of charge. Now if you charge a 18v pack in a 12 v charger it will never charge fully. Another way of finding peak charge is when the pack just Starts to get warm. A warm pack means electrical energy is being converted to heat, a bad thing to do to cells. Unfortunatly heat can be generated by the charger itself so voltage drop method is more accurate. They will not blow up or catch fire overcharged , they just loose alot of their life, they cook.
Reply to
m Ransley

Nevermind all this wussy stuff. I put a #2 phillips tip on my 10 CFM air ratchet, wtih 400 foot pounds of torque, and 200 blows per minute.

(OK, well, I didn't do any of this, but it's fun to think about).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I played Black Sabbath at 78 speed, man.

And what happened?

I saw God!

Reply to
GFRfan

Play it backwards at that speed.

Tune in, turn on and drop out.

Stone (No D on the end of that) Well, on second thought.

Reply to
Gary Stone

replying to Pop, Jason wrote: Very creative answer, but it does show ignorance of electronic circuits. It's quite unusual for electronic components to be rated under 25 or even 50 volts, so it's very unlikely that 18V vs 12V will cause voltage breakdown in any circuit component.

In an electric drill, heat is generated by the arcing at the brushes and also from electric current passing through the file windings. Here the higher voltage will push a higher current through the drill, which will cause more heating. When the drill is used at slower speed, I would expect it to work just fine. With extended drilling at full power, I would expect the drill to heat up more. Whether this causes a problem will depend on how good the original thermal design was. I've had 120VAC hand tools heat up and die when run for extended periods. Some tools are designed only for short term intermittent use. It's easy to tell when a tool overheats - just stop and let it cool.

For short term drilling, it would probably work fine, perhaps run a little warmer.

Design Engineer

Reply to
Jason

replying to Pop, Jason wrote: Ballasts are not used with batteries. Very creative but irrelevant. Batteries connected in series don't need balancing. In any case, the issue here is the use of an 18V battery module with a 12V tool. There are adapters available online to do this. Whether it works well for a particular tool will depend on the design of the tool..

Reply to
Jason

replying to Pop, Rthrgrgns wrote: If they were designed to limits they would instantly fail if you used an 18v battery on a 12v tool. In reality it depends on the tool that said I have a crappy b&d 12v multitool with the same connection as dewalt 18v I have been using it with the dewalt battery for years with no issues you just stop and let it cool if you start to smell it getting hot

Reply to
Rthrgrgns

I have a 14.4 Makita drill can I use a 18 v battery in it

Reply to
Maryville7

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 15:15:02 +0000, Maryville7 posted for all of us to digest...

No

Reply to
Tekkie©

He can if it fits. AN old friend built a Zenith 601 airplane with a

7.2 volt drill run off a 12 volt car battery - and that is a LOT of 1/8" holes!!!!
Reply to
Clare Snyder

I cut out the base of a 12 V. Dewalt and a 20V. battery goes right in and runs great, Look at 12 V. battery and the 18 V. and you see that you only have to cut out a little to make it fit,No taking apart. Also cut out the charger ( same ratings as 18 V. ) and can use it. Also can use 20 V. adapter in drill and runs great.

Reply to
David M.