cordless drill not working

My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is fully charged at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is bright but the drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position any of the switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger switch is bad. Any suggestions?

Reply to
badgolferman

Have it repaired.

nb

Reply to
notbob

check the brushes

Reply to
Charlie

Clean the contacts on the drill, a solvent like alcohol a small brush or rag then use an eraser on the contacts, an ink pen is best as its more course. if it doesnt help try brake or electric component cleaner in a spray can in the switch=3D- Let it Dry first a long time, if you dont have any you could pour in alcohol or something like a bit of laquer thinner, let it dry for about 6 hours or you might have the real meaning of Fire It Up. Or open the handle see if wires are loose and trace it with a meter to see where power fails. If its had tons of use check motor brushes.

Reply to
ransley

Take the handle apart and jump the switch. If it runs it's the switch, if it don't, it's probably the motor. If it's under warranty bring it back (before) you take it apart. Did you try all settings, reverse, low, high etc.?

Reply to
LSMFT

On my Makita, there is a center position on the FORWARD/REVERSE switch. Well, maybe it is not a position, but if you get there, the drill is D-E-A-D. Took me a while to figger that out, but I finally did.

You might check that and any other obvious stuff.

After that, you're on your own.

Reply to
Steve B

Yep......... IT'S BROKEN !!!!!

Reply to
twitter

LSMFT wrote in news:2nXjn.94886$G snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.iad:

Do you really smoke Lucky's?

Reply to
Red Green

OPen it up and look for the open wire or battery connection, etc.. Or see if anyone cares to repair it; they might. I would offer to at least look at such a thing for a price; it's almost always one of the wires at the switch that break, right close to one of the posts.

Twayne

Reply to
Twayne

His finger may just be tired

Reply to
gfretwell

Do they still make them?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

WOW! You must be as old as I am. :-) Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco, Am I correct?

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

I was born in the middle of the last century and both parents were regular army during WWII, everybody smoked. GAAAK! COUGH! HUFF! WHEEZE! You may have heard of a snot nosed kid, I was a green slime kid. One of my generation who is allergic to the smoke from idiots. They didn't know any better back then but people do now so there's no excuse.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In warranty, let them deal with it. Otherwise, turn the chuck by hand, and try it again (check for intermittent brushes).

You can take the battery out, open it up, and use a VOM to test the switches.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in news:2f39a758-e1c6-41fb-ab59- snipped-for-privacy@y11g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Yep. I believe they even printed the acronym on the bottom of the pack.

Reply to
Red Green

Your new ISP might not provide their own news server, but there are plenty of other news servers out there that are accessable from any ISP. Some charge a fee (especially those that provide a lot of binary groups), but others are free. In other words, don't go away just because you change ISPs.

Reply to
greenpjs

Thank you for the helpful comments and even the unhelpful ones.

I took the thing apart and moved switches and wires around. I found nothing wrong physically. After reassembling it the thing started working! It is possible the REVERSE/FORWARD switch was not making proper contact but it felt fine before I disassembled the drill. In any case, it is working like new again.

Maybe that drill is a female -- it just needed some loving attention....

Reply to
badgolferman

=3D=3D Yes. you hit the "g" spot. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

it happens - throw it away and buy a new one. At least you will have a spare battery!

Reply to
Paul Oman

Standard procedure for fixing things. Take it apart, put it together.

Reply to
Bob F