cordless drill not working

The Daring Dufas wrote: ...

I don't think the reason behind present spate of smoking bans is much at all related to attitudes/behavior of smokers rather it is the nanny-state mentality the do-gooders have engendered. I don't think the folks passing these laws give a flip about attitudes one way or t'other; they're all for we know better.

--

Reply to
dpb

It has a lot to do with money, as well...cost to employers and M'caid in covering health issues. Of course, we will all die someday, so the "end of life" rise in health costs eventually tolls. Personally, those with bad habits save the gov't. money (SS benefits) by dying sooner :o) OTOH, not justifying smoking but I'm wondering when the huge increase in obesity (many non-smokers and quitters) will overcome the savings in illness and/or dollars brought about by smoking cessation. Smoking (and some other really bad habits) came about, in part, to decrease appetite.

The US has lots of insane practices that cost us dearly, like "sex sells"...sexually explicit ads geared to teens, crap food ads geared to toddlers, and pharmaceuticals that nobody in their right mind would use.

Of course, three of the four major resources that built this country are outlawed or unpopular....sugar, tobacco, slavery and cotton.

Reply to
norminn

There are a fairly large number of studies suggesting that smoking is actually a money maker for governments. While they lose money in the short run to higher medical costs, etc., they more than make it back from the savings related to their dying younger.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I doubt there are even that many short term medical costs. Most smokers avoid the doctor because they get preached at to stop smoking.

They live in denial about their ailments until they are on death's door and die soon after that.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi, No wonder. It is proven smokers have quite a bit lower IQ compared to non-smokers. They are big burden to our health care system.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In NY there is. No smoking in government buildings, no restaurants, no workplaces, and any enclosed spaces occupied by other people.. You can't even smoke in the stands of Yankee Stadium, which is an open air stadium. I don't know about the other NY/NJ stadiums.

Reply to
willshak

That is the myth but not true in the long run because they die before they have all the expensive old age procedures like cataract operations, hip replacements and all those pills old folks take. The burden on "entitlements" is far less. Non-smokers may live to be

100 but a smoker might not even get to Social Security and Medicare.
Reply to
gfretwell

Run a jumper wire across the REVERSE/FORWARD switch and your drill will go both REVERSE and FORWARD at the same time. This will get boring jobs done quite as fast.

Reply to
connondick

It sounds like you're being respectful of others. I'm reminded of some experiments with the honor system, some newspapers will be put out on an unlocked rack with a coin box listing the price. A certain class of people with class (no pun) will unfailingly pay for the paper they take but inevitably, the papers and or coin box is stolen. I think the number of jerks in the population is increasing. That's why I like the concept of two legged vermin traps.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hell, tobacco does indeed enslave people!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

We have to look at it two ways. Even tho they live mostly shorter life they have more ailments of various kinds than non-smokers. How many fire is caused by careless smoking resulting in loss of life and property? They stink. Their house inside stink, their draperies don't last long. And second hand smoking is as deadly. In my city only place they can smoke is inside their house.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Most of the fire deaths, though, are the person doing the smoking. Also fire related deaths from smoking run about 2300 a year. Hardly a major contributor to overall deaths. The loss in property is

hardly a cost to society or government.

I am skeptical of some of the second hand smoke proclamations, largely because the first big one (appeared in JAMA or New England Journal of Med.. I'd have to dig it out) cooked the books. They used a 90% confidence interval. Most studies (including almost all of them used in the analysis) use a 905% CI.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Hmmm, In my house we treat 3 things like poison. Sugar, Salt, Milk.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You're close; think TAXES.

Reply to
krw

well said!!

and so true!

crazy isn't it?

Reply to
me

On that note, let's discuss alcohol and narcotic medications....

Reply to
norminn

Let's outlaw fireplaces while we're at it...they stink up the whole neighborhood. As for second hand smoke, I doubt it does more harm than gas-guzzling SUV's.

Reply to
norminn

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

cotton isn't "unpopular" or outlawed....just not profitable compared to foreign sources. Tobacco and slavery are immoral.

Now,in addition to the secondhand smoke problem.... People who smoke are overwhelmingly LITTERBUGS; they toss their cig butts all over the place,along with the rest of their smoking trash like disposable lighters,wrappers and empty cig packs. The scumbags empty their ashtrays in parking lots. Now,some fool is going to say that it's only a few bad ones who toss their cig trash,but the vast amount of evidence alongside our roads and outside building entrances says otherwise.

They also start fires.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

There is still a *lot* of cotton farmed in this country.

Tobacco can't be immoral. How can a plant have morals?

Some people are immoral, that isn't to be denied.

I see a lot of beer and soda cans around, too.

Not to mention fast food wrappers and a whole host of other things. Let's shut 'em all down!

So does lightning. Let's ban that too.

Reply to
krw

But we can fight back.

My favorite retort when some granny lady starts flailing me with her umbrella all the while screaming "You godless Communist! You can't smoke here!" is "It's all right madam. I'm French."

Sometimes I say: "Put it out? You've got to understand, punk, I'm a grenade and this cigarette is my pin. So you have to ask yourself one thing: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you punk?"

On occasion I use the Nixon Response: "Put it out? We believe that it IS out."

Reply to
HeyBub