Energy (gas especially) comparison table?

All I want is to see the cost/unit and daily cost for typical household bands of usage for a given region from various suppliers.

I don't want to have to give my address, existing provider, email contact and a whole host of other information.

FWIW for gas in the East Mids area I'm paying 2.25p/kwh and 18p/day inc VAT on an annual estimate of 19,000 kwh and that is likely to go up.

And how standard is the conversion from Cu Ft to kwh? Seemingly another mystery figure that takes some extracting.

No wonder folk find energy switching complex.

Reply to
AnthonyL

That'll depend on gas pressure.

Which is actually an interesting point. Is gas always supplied at a guaranteed constant pressure? What if the pressure varies? Does the meter take that into account?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Isn't the only variable in the calculation the calorific value of the gas?

I suspect that the cu ft indication is after the gas has been pressure regulated in the meter.

Reply to
alan_m

You really think it varies significantly post-regulator? That would make a nonsense of any volumetric meter reading and be positively dangerous for many gas appliances.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I am with you on this as it drives me mad the amount of variables although I can now get within a couple of pence of my estimate with the actual monthly bill they send me. This is the nearest I have got for other info:

ss

mailinator.com

calorific value of gas varies

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , ss writes

*Tangent Alert^ My son has set up a VPN through which I am currently connected. Having clicked the above link, a box appears saying British Gas want to know my location. I click OK, and a little map appears, showing where I live. I thought the whole point of the VPN was to prevent anyone knowing where I am. I assumed that even if I clicked OK as above, BG would get some random address anywhere. What have I misunderstood?
Reply to
Graeme

No idea. Maybe you used that VPN to tell someone else where you lived.

I don't use a VPN and it has no idea where I am...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, the primary point of the VPN is to allow information to be transferred over the public internet in a way that prevents the information being read during transit.

A side effect of that is that is that the IP address presented to web servers etc will usually be that of the termination point of the VPN rather than that of the computer at the far end of the VPN.

I think you are assuming that the web site is deducing your location based solely on your IP address. Needless to say its a good deal more complicated than that these days since all modern web browsers support geo location functionality.

If you allow your browser to send your actual location, then any amount of obfuscation that occurs later is rather too late in preventing your location being passed on.

How your browser gets your actual location varies depending on what information it has access to and what hardware its running on. Needless to say if its on hardware with GPS available, then its easy. Failing that it may use a geo location service provider like google, lob it your IP, and the names of any WiFi access points in the area that it knows of (remember the street view cars also hoover up the access point names of any wifi networks they find while driving - and so can match wifi network names to places)

See:

John Rumm

Same here on Firefox and Opera, doesn't work on Safari on a Mac. I think this covers it:

RJH

It's basically crap!

I regularly get Google insisting that I'm in France several days after I have returned from a trip there. It seems to use the data stored in its history to guess where you are. So if you do lots of searches for something in Chile (I did this recently) it will think you are in Chile for a while.

If you clear out entries from the places.sqlite database file in the browser configuration (Firefox, I guess others may be similar) then your 'location' will revert to somewhere nearer home.

Reply to
Chris Green

How well the location facilities work depend on a number of factors. On a GPS enabled phone, they will usually be spot on. Without GPS, they are usually still fairly accurate. With wifi connected PCs they are usually also fairly good if there are a few networks visible. For a hard wired desktop machine they may be quite poor in comparison.

If the web site in question is using a third party location provider then its anybody's guess as to what information gets included into the final mix. So for example having a GPS phone attached to your wifi, may allow a third party location service to associate a physical location with your ISPs IP. That may then be cached and used later when responding to a query to locate your desktop machine even though itself it can't provide GPS or wifi network information.

Reply to
John Rumm
[23 lines snipped]

Hilariously so, mostly.

Reply to
Huge

My desktop is hard-wired, it *usually* thinks it's in the UK but that seems mostly to depend on my browsing history (as noted above).

My laptop uses WiFi and takes a *long* time to come home after being in France.

It was the browser's idea of location rather than a web site's wasn't it?

Reply to
Chris Green

Kind of... firefox for example (IIUC) uses google geo location service to answer location questions it receives from the web site.

Reply to
John Rumm

and the constituents of the gas, and the temperature of the gas.

In practice, temperature is the main thing that changes it, and thus you will see the value vary very slightly between summer and winter.

Yes, that's exactly why there's a pressure regulator immediately before the gas meter. (Being out of range is treated as an urgent call-out.)

No, nor density which is why temperature is factored in (density changes with temperature at constant pressure).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Re location services: I was a bit surprised, on Saturday, to discover that my phone knew where my car was parked.

Reply to
charles

In message , Rod Speed writes

Yes, I realised that after posting.

Says the descendent of a convict.

Reply to
Graeme

Yup, I have noticed that on mine in the past. Seems like it makes inferences, presumably like "he was driving, now seems to be walking, must have left the car!"

(although the other day it seemed convinced I drove somewhere, and then motor cycled back - not sure how it worked that out).

Reply to
John Rumm

Or he is on the M25...

Reply to