New toilet cistern not touching wall

Am currently installing a new bathroom suite.

Removed the old toilet to tile behind it. Went to fit the new one, only to find the new tank is a lot smaller and doesn't touch the wall, leaving a

40mm gap (or thereabouts).

Can't push the toilet pan back any further. So, is it a case of taking the pan back off and cutting the soil pipe back by 40mm, or do I just use an extra long screw and some sort of spacer?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Simon T

I've always done the latter. I've used rubber bungs or 22mm water pipe as spacer before now. You can also screw a batten to the wall & fix the cistern to that.

Reply to
Huge

Huge wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I used a sandwich of pasterboard - cut small to be hidden but big enough to take the load.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Put a wooden batten along the back. Say 40mm thick by 50mm for the full width minus an inch on each end.

Sand it and make it nice. Paint it white.

Fix to wall and fix cistern to it with stainless screws.

From most angles you probably will not even notice it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This.

Reply to
Huge

I've seen some spaced out in other peoples bathrooms, usually it wassomethingthat looked a bit like the tiles themselves but in reality was probably chipboard faced with something or other. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1
Reply to
newshound

Thanks for the speedy replies everybody

Popped out to Wickes and got a length of 38x60mm CLS studwork timber (only £3)

Have cut it to length and given it a quick coat of white undercoat/primer and am letting it dry overnight.

Will fit that to the wall tomorrow and finish plumbing everything in, then will give the visible parts of it a coat of white gloss and all should be good.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Simon T

Pictures when you've done it?

Reply to
Tim Watts

If it's not close coupled, you need a new longer (horizontally) flush pipe. Cut to suit.

Reply to
harry

replying to Tim Watts, Freddiemac1 wrote: I?m having the same problem in my en suite trying to fit new sink and toilet but about 4 inch away from the wall . Have you any pics of yours finished please cheers Paul

Reply to
Freddiemac1