[OT] Simple arithmetic

Too early! Am I doing this correctly?

I draw a circle 10ft diameter, around which I draw a square 10 x 10ft. I want to know the distance from any corner of the square to the nearest point of the circle.

So, Pythagorus tells me the hypotenuse across the square is 14.14 ft. The circle is 10 ft diameter, so the answer is half of 4.14 ft or 2.1 ft.

This is correct. I think :-)

Reply to
Graeme

It soundeth good to me.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

Thank you!

Reply to
Graeme

Unless you do it on a zx 81 iif I recall when you get an incorrect rounding error. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Like the first Pentiums where you had to eschew the inbuilt floating point processor and do the calculations in software.

Reply to
Max Demian

It was the sinclair calculator that didn't work.

The Z80 didn't have any floating point anyway, so it was all down to 'software' and that is specific to the program running, not the hardware..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I sent mine back, and Intel gave me new ones.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Do you mean the 'pregnant' [1] scientific calculator with pi and e printed on the outside?

[1] Wikipedia says it worked on 4xAAAs but I distinctly remember a calculator in a Cambridge sized case with a lump at the back to accomodate a PP3 battery. They provided a little stand so you could use it on a desk.
Reply to
Max Demian

Not sure I agree.

The triangle has perpendicular sides of 5ft x 5ft giving the hypotenuse as sqrt(25+25) = 7.07ft. The circle radius is 5' to 2.07ft from nearest edge of circle to corner of square. Or have I misunderstood something?

Reply to
AnthonyL

they definitely almost worked on 4 AAs. I spent many months fixing them. They did not work on a PP3 at all.

There was a room full of 'customer returns' at the St Ives mill site.

Complete s**te really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the rounding from 2.07 to 2.1.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you have an Iphone - try:

6÷2(1+2)
Reply to
Judith

Seems ok on my 5S with os 9.x

What problem do you see?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Actually you both get the same answer except that Graeme rounded 'half of 4.14 ft' - which is, of course, 2.07ft - to

2.1ft.
Reply to
Terry Casey

Maybe they get 1 as the answer?

However you do the brackets first and then left to right with the division and multiplication.

Reply to
dennis

What answer did you get?

Reply to
Judith

Ah - you've taken the whole of the square, I just looked at the radius length so couldn't quite see at first where your figures came from.

Reply to
AnthonyL

2.071067812 here. ;-)
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well the OP did say he drew a square around the circle. So perforce the square has sides of 10ft length, and indeed he says that. A diagonal in the square is therefore 14.14ft long. Etc.

Who'd like to prove that the middle of that diagonal is the centre of the circle?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Terry Casey writes

Sorry, yes, 2.07 ft is correct, of course. Do I get 9/10 because my calculation was correct :-)

Reply to
Graeme