[OT] Simple arithmetic

If an error of nearly 1mm is ok for your purposes, 10/10. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got 9 on my iphone and 9 using google.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's the point : it should be 2.071067818 ;-)

Reply to
Judith

A simple non-mathematical solution could be to say that the circle and square are both symmetrical about both diagonals - so it has to be the centre of the circle.

Reply to
Judith

Its implicit in the proposition that he drew a square as small as possible ROUND the circle and exactly in the same place AS the circle.

By symmetry, both must have their centres co-incident.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well doing it in my head gives 1. Windows Calculator (Scientific mode) gives 9 (so does my TI scientific calculator), but you have to insert a x between the 2 and the (, as it doesn't understand that a value next to a ( means that you have to multiply the value with the result of the contents of the brackets, and this takes priority over the division.

Reply to
Max Demian

  1. There's a missing operator
  2. BODMAS
Reply to
Robin

In (written) algebra, a value before a left bracket means multiply the result of the contents of the brackets (first).

Reply to
Max Demian

Really? How about default to multiplication - is that no longer the rule?

so 6÷2 *3 = 1

(Unless something incorrectly gives you 9 of course)

Reply to
Judith

Well, a tad over two feet was close enough :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Do iPhones know that? I don't have one.

PS I assumed you meant key into the phone *exactly* what you posted.

Reply to
Robin

Like this you mean

whisky-dave

both 1 and 9 are correct depending.....

-
Reply to
Mark

... on whether you're a f****it or not.

Reply to
Huge

...on operator precedence.

Just like punctuation, if you don't have rules that everybody sticks to, language is ambiguous

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, it depends on what 6/2*3 is held to be.

And whether you consider there is an implicit bracketing of 2(1+2)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean in like "Let's eat grandma?"

Reply to
AnthonyL

Exactly.

Or Eats, Shoots, and Leaves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was taught BODMAS (brackets, orders (powers), division, multiplication, addition, subtraction) as the order in which to apply operators.

So:

- evaluate 1+2 first because it's in brackets.

- there are no orders/powers

- evaluate 6 / 2 = 3

- evaluate 6 (ie 6/2) * 3 (ie 1+2)

- there is no addition or subtraction (other that 1+2 which was evaluated early because it's in brackets).

Therefore the answer is 9.

On the other hand, should the 2(1+2) be evaluated before the division because a gut feeling says that an implied multiplication should have a higher-than-normal precedence - and it *is* only gut feeling: I couldn't explain why!

I'd have written the expression with a few more brackets to make it abundantly clear what I meant: so either

6 / (2(1+2)

or

(6/2)(1+2) aka (6/2)*(1+2)

Reply to
NY

Exactly.

Relying on operator precedence when it's very shaded is a bad idea.

AS is relying on implicit type conversion in a boolean operation, as I also know to my cost.

Javascript type casting is defined for assignment, but not for comparison.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher