OT: Wrong pets?

Why do we keep cats and dogs as pets when they're so bloody thick? Why not monkeys?

Some prefer not so smart animals if they like the behaviour.
After all, some keep much more stupid pets like snakes, sheep, horses, birds etc.

They have real downsides. If you don't like the way some cats knock things off stuff, monkeys are much worse in that regard. And some can be much more vicious too.
I lived in Singapore for a number of years and a few people did have monkeys for pets, but far more had the usual cats and dogs. The monkeys were mostly working animals, good for going up palm trees and twisting off the coconuts and throwing them down.

But cats and dogs produce smelly shit and have no idea how to bury it themselves. The others you mention aren't that bad.

Yes I suppose too much intelligence in a pet can be a bad thing.

They trained them as workers? Cool.

Dogs don't, but cats do. So give over talking bollocks, would you.
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich people
by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are poor.

Depends on whether you step on it before its dried out.

I should have made it clearer that I meant that dogs have no clue about burial but cats do have.
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich people
by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are poor.

I've got 7 cats and not one of them has EVER buried the shit. Half of them make a feeble attempt, but just end up pushing litter randomly around with one paw. They have no clue as to where the shit is.
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Prick.

so it's my fault they can't bury their excrement?
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Prick.

Is that the best you can do?
wrote

Yep, you keep feeding them so they keep producing more shit.

Not feeding them makes them stop living.
wrote

And that does stink much worse than cat shit.
Any dead animal stinks a lot worse than any shit.
On 09/03/2018 03:21 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
[snip]

That was what I found when I found something in the yard that I wished I hadn't. A half-eaten dead cat that had been there since the day before. I recognized the cat as the one that licked my nose the day before that.
--
113 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Yeah. I normally come across them when out walking for exercise because I prefer to walk in the bush outside town.
We don't get many rotting dead animals inside town, the ones that die of natural causes or get run over by a car get buried very quickly or tossed in the bin.
On 09/03/2018 04:10 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

You are fortunate. You don't have to look far to find a dead deer around here. A real upside to riding motorcycles is a dead deer in the August sun. Or I guess February sun for you.

We do get quite a few dead kangaroos on the side of the road and I managed to run right over one right on the road itself.
You don't see dead ones in town tho.

They stink here all year round. Doesn't get that cold here.

But you only have to dispose of it once.
On 09/03/2018 03:05 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
[snip]

Which reminds me of the Monty Python show where the ant is the national pet. One customer asks what to feed them, and is told not to feed them anything. It's cheaper to get new ants.