Amazon orders 100,000 electric delivery trucks,

I called my dentist sometime last month... I never liked phones too much and that hasn't changed. I look on my Nokia as a small tablet with an LTE connection I can fit in my shirt pocket. In a pinch it can double as a phone.

I may bring it with me if I'm geocaching but I sure as hell not hiking up a trail yacking with someone like a lot of people I see.

Reply to
rbowman

I'll never get around to it but if I were buying elderly vehicles, a Citroen Traction Avant, a Messerschitt KR200, a '40 Ford coupe and a '50 Ford couple would be on the list long before a Baker.

I've seen one, maybe the museum in Reno? That's close enough. They also had a flatbed electric truck of the same vintage.

The Bakers were about three times the price of a Model T. I have a feeling if you traveled back in time the same sort of people buying electric cars now would be buying Bakers. Popular with suffragettes; no cranking necessary, no smelly fuel...

I misremembered that Granny in the Tweetie Pie cartoons drove a Baker but I think it was an older T.

Reply to
rbowman

I prefer to talk than to text or message with more complicated problems because its much quicker with stuff that requires multiple overs for clarification and is more convenient for general conversations with people.

I do much more on my phone now that I used to do on the computer, all the emailing, all the texting, all the voice calls in and out, all the bill paying, all the payments for all except the garage/yard sake transactions, all the ebay and amazon and aliexpress transactions. All the books I read too.

I always take mine with me when hiking but that?s because if I manage to break a leg or ankle etc, I could be there for weeks or months before someone else ever shows up and I would be dead by then.

I do talk to people who call me when hiking but then it?s a very rare day indeed that I don?t get an incoming call.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I know how, but I hate to do it. Who knew your thumbs keep growing as you get older. ;)

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

No, I won't. OTOH if legislation mandated you have to be able to breath the tailpipe exhaust, I would say that would be ridiculous.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

This describes the engines on my 2 Subaru's:

The Subaru PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) is the affordable, no-compromise, eco-friendly alternative. Although the Subaru PZEV runs on regular unleaded fuel, it offers significant smog-reducing environmental benefits and delivers equal performance compared to non-PZEV cars or SUVs, including hybrids, diesels and alternative fuel vehicles.

A PZEV is classified as the cleanest-running gasoline-powered car on the market and was developed to meet the air quality standards of California, the most stringent in North America. A PZEV must meet the Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) tailpipe standard and have zero evaporative emissions.

PZEV certified Subaru vehicles come equipped with advanced gasoline engines that produce ultra-clean emissions with zero evaporative emissions. CARB requires zero fuel evaporative emissions in order to qualify for PZEV. However, PZEV vehicles are sold in all 50-states with the same strict requirements. All Subaru vehicles with a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated engine meet the stringent Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle exhaust emission standard (SULEV). Subaru's environmental commitment to meeting PZEV standards is what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Dr. Google says this:

What percent of the US population is illiterate?

21 percent According to the National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES), 21 percent of adults in the United States (about 43 million) fall into the illiterate/functionally illiterate category.Apr 29, 2020

Also:

Approximately 32 million adults in the United States can't read, according to the U.S. Department of Education and the National Institute of Literacy. The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development found that 50 percent of U.S. adults can't read a book written at an eighth-grade level.Nov 1, 2016

Hits also say 99% above age 15 can read but that would include all that could recognize street signs etc.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

21% of adult Americans are marginally literate, functionally illiterate, or illiterate 26.4 million are at Level 1 literacy. People with Level 1 Literacy can:

Locate one piece of information in a sports article Locate the expiration date on a driver?s license Total a bank deposit entry

8.4 million adults are below level 1.

That means of every 5 people I encounter every day, 1 of them is functioning at the literacy level of a seven-year-old.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Market penetration of mobile payments is very poor in the U.S. Only

23% of smart phone owners have ever used mobile payment.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Since you live in a college town, I'd say no. However, I can take you to places in most any big city where you'd have a tough time finding the few that are functioning.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hey, at least some of the people in Congress can read and write.

Reply to
danny burstein
[snip]

My first car was an underpowered Plymouth Horizon. It definitely had problems climbing hills with AC on. it would also vibrate excessively at speeds over 50MPH.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Perhaps not 1 in 5. I live just outside of a college town. I'm sure that some of the people I encounter at the grocery store are illiterate. It might be 1 in 5 of that biased sample.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Years ago before I even had a flip phone my boss tried that tact. There's one minor problem. Most of the areas I do that aren't on popular trail systems have no cell coverage.

There are even some populated canyons with large gaps. I was surprised when the Jango feed to the radio stopped when I was driving to a very popular trailhead. This isn't a trail system out in the boonies; it's about 3 miles to a busy city street.

There are some places where there are homemade signs saying 'cell phone pullout'. Those aren't those safety pullouts you see along highways, they're the only place in the area where a cell phone works.

The only real answer to that argument would be a sat phone or one of those satellite linked locator beacons.

It's gotten a lot better but I used to answer bikers who say all they need is a cellphone and a credit card to cover any problems that in Montana they could play games until the battery died. Get off I94 in eastern Montana and you can't even count on somebody coming along. Even HP is light on the ground.

I've been experimenting with the geocaching app and getting a better feel for which areas are dead. It's surprising. I've been on a ridge a mile from a peak with more antennas than a cold war monitoring station and gotten zilch even though I had a visual on the antenna farm.

Rural, mountainous, at least in the western part, and sparse population the cell infrastructure follows the valleys where the people live.

Reply to
rbowman

Their definition of illiterate is nothing like your : "their literacy does not extend beyond the ability to recognize street signs and newspaper headlines"

Nothing like your original either.

Now produce a reliable number for "their literacy does not extend beyond the ability to >>>>>>> recognize street signs and newspaper headlines"

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Nothing like Frank's silly claim.

Nothing like Frank's silly claim.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I'm more into hunt'n'peck with a forefinger. I have gotten used to the word completion in Slack. Typing on a desktop keyboard I keep wondering why 'keyboard' doesn't appear as an option by the time I get to 'keyb'.

I think it learns too. I capitalize acronyms like DNS, IP, TCP/IP and it seems uppercase them if I type in lower case.

Reply to
rbowman

Not my claim = my report, silly.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I never have but then my credit card usage is very limited too, mostly gas purchases at the island, and CostCo. Even when I'm traveling it's only gas and lodging.

Reply to
rbowman

I had a Geo that had problems climbing hills period. Of course around here 'hill' really means 'pass' like Homestake Pass which at 6,329' is the highest point on I90. Even then it would pull it at about 50 mph. That's better than a big truck grinding up the hill at 29. You learn patience.

Reply to
rbowman