OT: EU and Canada

Yes but I found this a bit of a non story. From what I can gather its been known that this sort of thing will be an issue for many years. So what has changed? Well it seems that Canada put out a statement that they are not going to continue, and I suspect this is all part of the posturing to try to get the EU to get this sorted out or they will walk away. Of course they probably won't walk away, but its a threat. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It also gives the lie that the UK making trade agreements after we finally leave the EU will be straightforward. Unless we want to get stuffed, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the US one fell through too.

The signs of how difficult it is to agree a decent trade deal are there for all to see. Excepting the blinkered BREXIT lot, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No-one has ever said it is easy getting a trade deal with the EU - that's one good reason for leaving, so that we can do our own trade deals more quickly.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Remoaner misrepresentation again.

Reply to
bert

Yes, the signs are there all right. Of just how dysfunctional the EU actually is. Good job we're leaving, eh? Especially as their telling DC to bugger off earlier in the year also highlights something - how uninterested they are in listening to the people and considering changing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, it shows how it will be a lot easier than the EU has managed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But it seems the EU are happy with the Canada deal. Just not one part of a country in the EU.

I can imagine you being happy with a UK deal that stuffed part of the UK, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No surprise you're one of those optimists who think the UK will make trade agreements easily round the world. Head in the clouds as usual.

The entire world just can't wait for all those killer products they can only buy from the UK. Here's a list of them:-

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The EU may, as you say, be dysfunctional but they hold most of the cards.

Nigel Farage's claim during the referendum campaign that the EU would be forced to trade with a post-Brexit UK (if only to appease German car unions) was mostly bluster.

As one EU commissioner said a few days ago, the EU is partly driven by romantic notions of a united Europe and is likely to be more intransigent than sheer logic would dictate. And that's only after overcoming any pockets of objectors like Wallonia.

The UK represents only 8 to 17% of EU exports (hi-lo range) and that's set to decline as the pound's value continues to fall. So the value of EU exports to the UK are hardly going to be a killer negotiating lever for us.

Reply to
pamela

We will make deals easily with non-EUSSR countries.

Reply to
harry

In relative terms it will be

The list of things that we want to make sure are "protected" after the deal will be tiny (in number of product classes, not in value, of course)

But when the EU tries to make a deal each of the 28 countries has their own list of things to protect, that when added together makes a large set that's very difficult for the other side to compromise on.

tim

Reply to
tim...

being "unhappy" and having a power to veto because you are unhappy, are not the same thing

tim

Reply to
tim...

Well whoopy-do! I'm not interested in your spinning - there is no EU_Canada deal and not likely to be.

*Any* deal is likely to stuff somebody. But the UK govt would be in a position to ameliorate matters.
Reply to
Tim Streater

So what evidence do *you* have that this will be difficult? When there's already quiet a long list of countries that have expressed interest in such deals?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Fine, then we can start by using WTO rules. You're also overlooking that as we speak, there are no tariffs between the UK and the rest of Europe. Easiest thing for everyone is actually to leave that in place.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well of course they have, they have something to gain, it does not mean the uUK (unUnited kingdom) has anything to gain.

Reply to
dennis

We will, just as we will keep freedom of movement. The EU is not going to give free trade without it. Its about time brexiteers woke up to reality.

Reply to
dennis

Taint gunna happen, because if they did that, plenty of others would leave too, those that pay in more then the EU hands back.

Reply to
Jack Johnson

I'm more concerned about applying limits to free movement of people for non-work purposes than accepting EU regulations (although EU wasted money is not easy to stomach).

I would like to see more restrictions on immigrants but the economic cost of doing that might be very expensive. That's why I think on balance Remain is best.

Reply to
pamela