Subject Author Posted Replies

R. Cott. 17
Installing the underfloor heating has neared the top of the jobs list. Despite much reading of suppliers PDFs and head scratching there are still areas of uncertainty:-) Current thinking for the...
5
5

Bathroom mirror light with shaver socket
I'm after a light with a shaver socket incorporated, to go over the mirror above the hand basin in the bathroom. But AIUI the shaver socket has to be connected via an isolating transformer. Plenty of...
19
19

Wonder Material?
What amazing materials are used to make.......the tall and slender heels of women's fashionable high heel shoes?
15
15

Small 13A sockets
Someone here was looking for small 13A sockets and the ones that fit in conduit boxes were suggested, however they were rather expensive. There're some on Ebay (no connection with the seller, etc)...
8
8

OT: The importance of education.
... in deciding whether "existing student fees" means (a) existing (student fees). (b) (existing student) fees.
8
8

Stone.
I've got a Victorian semi, and the brick walls go above the roof. On top of those walls is a coping of pre-cast concrete lengths - each one a couple of feet or so long - replaced along with the roof...
43
43

Glue before soldering
I am repairing a Corsa key this involves soldering a couple of microswitches to a PCB. Now these switches are soldered onto lands rather than holes through the board a la :- He seems to have a great...
19
19

hassles of DIY gas hot water repairs
a storm blew out pilot light on my water heater. It would not light again. I knew the cause was that there is a pinhole to set air-fuel ratio and it can become clogged. So unscrewed a few things to...
7
7

Insulating loft with mix of between rafters and existing between ceiling joists
Hi Victorian slate roof with gables. Existing 100mm glassfibre/rockwool between 5" ceiling joists then chipboard floor. Reroofing and need to increase insulation for Building Control. Easiest way to...
10
10

Labels that have poor glue
I used to get all my labels from Able, but the latest batch seem to only want to stick to paper, not pvc or shiny cards etc. I tried printing my own with A4 label stock and they won't stick on...
5
5

OT: What's the point in vibrating mobiles?
So you're somewhere like a cinema, or a meeting, where you don't want to disturb anyone. So you put the phone on vibrate. Then what? Have a phonecall in front of everyone? Disturb everyone by leaving?
28
28

Temproary fix to caravan paintwork
Quick question whilst I research in parallel. I am about to mount a rear view camera to the back of the caravan using Sikaflex. Before I do that I would like to mount it temporarily to get it in the...
12
12

Paint stripper
Are there ANY decent paint strippers still available since the emasculation of Nitromors ?
11
11

Chain Saw and Leylandii
Tried to cut through the truncks of a couple of Leylandii today. I had previously had sawed throught the upper supplementary trunks. The Chainsaw wouldn't make much headway - it gave up before getting...
24
24

OT: Bins with other people's wrong stuff in them
Never had this myself as I live in a culdesac without through traffic, but I was walking along a long street today and saw an angry man throwing litter out of his recycling bin on to the street. He...
37
37