OT: Bins with other people's wrong stuff in them

Never had this myself as I live in a culdesac without through traffic, but I was walking along a long street today and saw an angry man throwing litter out of his recycling bin on to the street. He told me the council is constantly refusing to collect his bin as it has the wrong things in it. Last week it was a half eaten bread roll. Is this a common problem and how do you get round it? Educate the f****it binmen? I saw for myself his bin was full of paper and cardboard as it should be, with a small amount of litter shoved in the top, clearly from passersby.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

t I was walking along a long street today and saw an angry man throwing lit ter out of his recycling bin on to the street. He told me the council is c onstantly refusing to collect his bin as it has the wrong things in it. La st week it was a half eaten bread roll. Is this a common problem and how d o you get round it? Educate the f****it binmen? I saw for myself his bin was full of paper and cardboard as it should be, with a small amount of lit ter shoved in the top, clearly from passersby.

It happens I've seen it, but then my binman can't even put the bins back in the4 correct front garden. The only thing I've thought of is locking the b ins with a simple padlock and asp type thing, but you'd have to unlock it b efore collection. A couple of weeks ago they managed to leave 3 grey bins for two flats that have only ever had one grey bin each. Sometimes my bin has been left outside anothers door and I have someone esl es bin. Can't be that difficult as the bins are numbered with the house num bers. Maybe it;s because they employ people with 'difficulties, I know one has to urette's as I hear him shout out or just makes a noise every couple of mini utes.

Reply to
whisky-dave

A bin is a bin, you're not one of those possessive types who forms a relationship with his own bin are you? I just take the first one I see from the street. I find it amusing when I take one with a house number on it, then see a neighbour walking up my drive and swapping them, shaking her head in disgust. I think next time I'll hide it and see what she does.

Which is pointless. If you're going to go out to unlock it before collection, you might aswell just put the bin out then.

Maybe they asked for more bins? If I didn't have an elderly neighbour who doesn't use hers much, I wouldn't be able to get all my stuff in either my recycling bin or my waste bin. I have to use 3/4s of hers each time aswell. What I'd do is hide mine, tell the council it had been lost or stolen, get the new one, then use both.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rote:

but I was walking along a long street today and saw an angry man throwing litter out of his recycling bin on to the street. He told me the council i s constantly refusing to collect his bin as it has the wrong things in it. Last week it was a half eaten bread roll. Is this a common problem and ho w do you get round it? Educate the f****it binmen? I saw for myself his b in was full of paper and cardboard as it should be, with a small amount of litter shoved in the top, clearly from passersby.

k in the4 correct front garden.

tionship with his own bin are you?

No, my downstairs neigbour had a relationship with one as she paid a cleane r to come and clean it once a month or so. Council put numbers on the bins to ID them, well they did all look pretty s imilar.

They aren;t kept in the street we are told not to put them out, the binmen come through the gate wheel the bins into the street then empty them then r eturn them, hopefully to the correct address.

eighbour walking up my drive and swapping them, shaking her head in disgust . I think next time I'll hide it and see what she does.

I can't work out why someone would want to take another persons been is it some sort of fetish. Whats worse is when someone has a go at you for readin g their paper on the tube, if they hold it out in front of me I'll read it. One women got so annoyedd with me after just 10 mins she handed it to me an d said they you go you can have it now, I said no thanks I've just read it and she stormed off, probbaly PMT or something.

k and asp type thing, but you'd have to unlock it before collection.

What if they start fining peole for putting no re-cyclabel rubbish in the r e-cycle bins.

l just put the bin out then.

In our bourough we are told not to put the bins out as they obstruct the pa vement.

hat have only ever had one grey bin each.

No the women in the other flat went into a care home and at 96 she didn't h ave much rubbish anyway. I asked the council if we could share a bin and th ey said No not unless you both aply to share one bin, maybe that confused t hem and why we ended up with 3 one each and one to share. wierd thing is th ey only deliverd the 3rd grey bin two weeks after she went into a care home , the flat is still empty.

't be able to get all my stuff in either my recycling bin or my waste bin. I have to use 3/4s of hers each time aswell. What I'd do is hide mine, tel l the council it had been lost or stolen, get the new one, then use both.

How comes you have so much waste ? Do you use nappies or something.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Never heard of a council doing that. Only numbers on bins here are the freaks who get their bin washed with a pressure washer commercially. A BIN ffs! A bin is naturally dirty on the inside, it's meant to be. I wonder if they get their drains polished too?

Not as lazy as ours then, ours have to be on the pavement with the handles facing the road so they can do them all quickly.

I don't. But I don't class a bin as belonging to anyone. They are actually legally owned by the council. They're all identical. I take whatever bin is closest.

ROFL!

They'd have to prove it was me that did it. If it was right down inside it perhaps, but on the top anyone could have stuck it in there. Even then, my drive and my next door neighbour's drive are next to each other. We can easily shove stuff in each other's bins and often do when ours is full. So the council cannot tell who did it.

Are pedestrians too lazy to walk round the bins?

Not hard to confuse a council.

Sell the surplus on Ebay.

Recycle bin is full of empty plastic drinks bottles and cat food tins etc. Rubbish bin, well I dunno, but there's always loads of stuff being cucked out. I seem to be having a non stop clear out.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

How come you live in a flat? A technician's wage is enough to buy a proper house.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It is certainly a problem if you.. Live near a bus stop a pub on the way to where people partk their cars etc. people rather than litter will go into a garden and just tuck their junk into somebody elses bin. The only thing I can suggest is have every bin on a combination lock that only you and the waste colector know. Hardly an answer but I have complained as being blind I'm no wiser whent the bin man chuck the rubbish on my path. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Your bin man chucks the rubbish out of your bin onto your path? He shou= ld get fined for littering. It's a =A375 fine.

-- =

A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:old54m$v9v$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Meanwhile some people seem happy to advertise their stupidity by mis-using them. Our council has abandoned recyling bins in a Student and an Immigrant area. I worry about removing the metal tops of glass bottles!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Council housing areas round here have bins overflowing with a mixture of everything. And a sofa and TV sat upside down on the lawn.

You mean when you buy a drink and have to lever it off with a bottle opener? They haven't invented the screw cap where you live?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Pillock.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ours leave them on the pavement, usually right in the middle blocking it for a wheelchair or pushchair and directly in front of the drive so you have to park up and get out and move it before you can put your car in the drive.

Worst case was them leaving it directly in front of my car, while I was sat in it, with the engine running and obviously about to pull out!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They do belong to the householder. They occasionally go missing or get damaged. When they do, the poor sod that is without one has to contact the council, who will supply one in a week or so - and charge for the privilege.

If everyone numbers them, at least you know the person paying is the one who actually needs a new bin and that they are not having to pay to replace one that a neighbour has replaced their lost one with.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You are fussy aren't you? None of the above bothers me one bit. Think how long it would take them to do their round if they neatly stored each bin, probably double the time, and double your taxes.

One thing that does piss me off though, when they're collecting bins in another street and I'm trying to drive past. Not their fault there's nowhere for them to stop without obstructing the road, it's the fault of the bafoons that own cars but no drives. Drives should be mandatory to store your car in.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And I thought my council was bad. It's a free replacement here, as they own them. They supplied them in the first place, so I can't possibly own it.

If I had a council that charged, I'd "steal" someone else's and change or remove the number. I pay taxes to have rubbish collected. I'm certainly not paying again to provide the bins for the council.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"Some folk give tips at Christmas "And some of them forget "And when he picks their bins up "He spills some on the step."

Reply to
Max Demian

There are plenty of glass (and plastic) bottles with metal screw tops. Always with plastic inside to seal, so hard to recycle.

Reply to
Max Demian

A tip to a binman? How does that work? They don't get given cash. Do = you tape it to the side of the bin?

-- =

"Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics." - Fletcher Knebel

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

When you said worry, I assumed you meant about cutting your fingers.

Surely the top is already off when the bottle runs out, so you don't have to remove it to recycle. And since (here anyway) plastic and metal go in the same bin, I just chuck them both in (seperately). Magnets seperate them (including non-ferrous believe it or not - by induction) at the recycling centre.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

People used to give them tips at Christmas, but there again they used to climb over my parents' back fence to pick the bin up and then return it to the same spot. At my house, (same authority) for some reason bins weren't used and they collected the bin bags from the back garden. Once they went to wheelie-bins, expected us to put them out and return them and stopped even thinking about where they placed them, the tips stopped.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker