OT: Bins with other people's wrong stuff in them

That's what Boxing Day (the first working day after Christmas Day) was for. Now it's just another holiday.

Reply to
Max Demian

If I left a binbag outside at night, some vermin would rip it apart and = spread the contents for miles.

-- =

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god tha= n you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible god= s, you will understand why I dismiss yours -- Stephen Roberts =

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So did they actually knock on doors and ask for tips? Or did you stand = outside at 7am to wait for them coming round? Doesn't seem workable.

-- =

The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, they used to knock. Or people left money on or by the bin.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Asking for a tip sounds rather rude. It would be like me doing you a fa= vour, then saying "well say thankyou then!"

-- =

Dijon vu: the same mustard as before.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They would wish you a Merry Christmas and stand there shuffling their feet until you coughed up.

Reply to
Max Demian

I wouldn't pay anything to someone like that. Sounds rather like restaurants where they ask how much tip you'd like to place on your bill when paying by card. A tip, like charity, should be voluntary. I never pay to charities who come to my door and ask either. I'll choose them myself thankyou very much.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

the councils seem to constantly increase their rates but lessen their services! even with recycling etc a family of 5 cannot be expected to make one of each bin last for 2 weeks, except for garden waste

Reply to
mostyn harvey

Ours has a very stupid rule. 1 to 5 people get a standard bin. 6+ people get one 50% bigger. I'm 1 person with some pets and I fill my standard bins and half my neighbour's. No way 5 people could manage at all. I assume you have to make regular trips to the skip. Try this: hide your bin, claim it's been nicked, let them give you a new one, then use both. Loads of people do that round here.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rote:

ic, but I was walking along a long street today and saw an angry man throwi ng litter out of his recycling bin on to the street. He told me the counci l is constantly refusing to collect his bin as it has the wrong things in i t. Last week it was a half eaten bread roll. Is this a common problem and how do you get round it? Educate the f****it binmen? I saw for myself hi s bin was full of paper and cardboard as it should be, with a small amount of litter shoved in the top, clearly from passersby.

back in the4 correct front garden.

elationship with his own bin are you?

eaner to come and clean it once a month or so.

Not in London it isn't, especailly with other expenses of London.

whisky-dave

and even if it did, some people's interest does not extend to gardening.

Reply to
charles

rote:

utside at 7am to wait for them coming round? Doesn't seem workable.

They used to make a lot of extra noise bashing the bin lids which were meta l on metal bins and you sort of knew your binmen like you'd know the coalma n or the milkman or the paper boy, so for a quiet christmas lie in it alway s seemd best to leave something out for the binmen.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They used to make a special trip here. In their own time, I suppose. The council banned the practice when it was privatized.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What's it got to do with the council? They don't ban tips for waitresses in private restaurants.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Then don't live in London.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

nd outside at 7am to wait for them coming round? Doesn't seem workable.=

metal on metal bins and you sort of knew your binmen like you'd know th= e coalman or the milkman or the paper boy, so for a quiet christmas lie = in it always seemd best to leave something out for the binmen.

Back in the days of metal bins, we still called them "scaffies" in Scotl= and and looked down on them.

-- =

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rote:

affic, but I was walking along a long street today and saw an angry man thr owing litter out of his recycling bin on to the street. He told me the cou ncil is constantly refusing to collect his bin as it has the wrong things i n it. Last week it was a half eaten bread roll. Is this a common problem and how do you get round it? Educate the f****it binmen? I saw for myself his bin was full of paper and cardboard as it should be, with a small amou nt of litter shoved in the top, clearly from passersby.

ns back in the4 correct front garden.

a relationship with his own bin are you?

cleaner to come and clean it once a month or so.

retty similar.

and pay £4k a year and spend 3 hours a day traveling or buying a car e tc... There's a reason why peole are willing to pay London prices other wise th ey wouldnl't be so high. You'll find that where people want to live the prices are higher.

I hear there's some cheap properties is syria if yuo can't afford to move to london.

Reply to
whisky-dave