What fruit and what is wrong with them?

Recently we bought a property with apples and pears, damsons and plums there, also there is this fruit which i think are pears, but what is wrong with them?

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: image.jpg | |Download:
Mattylyd

I think they are pears. The leaves and habit look like pears and the fruit somewhat like pears, particularly the way they seem joined straight on to the twig.

I think you may have several diseases. This is not my strong point so it could be only one. One has dried out and discoloured the larger two (out of focus) fruits in the foreground. Another has produced the specimen on the left with the black spot. There are several fungal and bacterial diseases that have those effects. One puzzle is that the leaves seem mainly healthy, many diseases such as scab mark the leaves as well as the fruit.

Such diseases have many names. I suggest searching the web for images of pear diseases, you will get many libraries from agricultural and gardening sites. Once you have narrowed it down then you can consider treatment, spraying wildly before you know the target is not a good idea.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Thanks David I will start researching. I am just worried about anything spreading to my other fruits. The leaves in the background aren't a great image of what they look like, they seem to have small black areas of leaf on them, like they have been singed with fire.

Mattylyd

That being the case, you might research fireblight. It's devastating to pears. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek