What is this plant?

Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: image.jpg | |Download:
Scorpiogirl

Cardoon or artichoke perhaps?

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Almost looks like oak. What sort of stem/trunk does it have? How is it branching?

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Would need to see more of the plant but it could be some sort of thistle, easier to ID once it flowers:

I happen to enjoy thistle's gorgeous flowers... thistle also improves soil, its deep roots aerate... and the plant is also edible.

Brooklyn1

Oak? As in an oak tree?

That plant is only about 2-3ft high from looking at the soil beside the pant and it has a leaf like any oak I've ever seen.

We'll probably never hear another thing form the OP since the post came from gardenbanter.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Yes. Mighty oaks from little nuts grow....

Well, it had similarities to red oak to my weary eyes. Granted, not everyone's photos give decent representation of size...or even of shape, at times. And there are a lot of different oaks out there.

Doesn't bother me...still makes for good conversation here.

And you should take a look at the site sometime. It is an interesting collection of topic-related Usenet groups all together. Really, it is not an abomination.

The web is much more accessible to most folks than Usenet is. I am comfy with a newsreader and subscribing to a newsfeed, but not everyone is, or even knows they exist. Keep in mind that Usenet is not easily handled on small tablets and smart phones and those are the largest growth sectors for online content these days.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Could be Bryonia, but not 100%

RonJohnson

Acorns.

Brooklyn1

True, but I htought I'd sek clarification as I know Americans give unusual names to some plants so wondered if it was in one of those categories, for example, I've heard of "poison oak" always got the impression that with a name like that, it might be a ground dweller rather than a tree and that was what was in your mind.

Now I'm going to have to get out my tree reference books because it didn't make me think of Red oak so I'll have to have a shoofty and check out the wonderful oak family again.

Granted, not

True, but it was the soil beside the plant that I looked at for size.

I've had a look there but most gardenbeanter posters seem to appear once and then not again for some reason.

I find tablets to be quite irritating except when travelling.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

There is nothing in the photo that indicates specific size, but judging by all the plants nearby and the profusion of leaves and pattern of leaf growth, this thing is not a ground-hugger by any means.

I have a feeling that their questions appear here, but our replies do not necessarily appear to them - either at all, easily found, or easily responded to. I other words, it may be a breeze to start a thread at garden banter, but difficult to participate in an ongoing one.

It is the way of the world.I know what my clients are doing and all my market research is pointing towards.Fewer and fewer home desktops are available, more companies are making the changeover to laptops and docking stations and traditional laptops are being replaced by things like the MS Surface.

I am comfy with all of them, though prefer certain of them for particular tasks.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Need a better view! Agreed... let's at least see a good pic of its bark and branching habit. I don't see that leaf here:

Brooklyn1

No, it's certainly not a grund hugger or a ground cover by any means but from the soil beside the plant, it can't be more than 2 ft tall.

Yes, I've always suspected that too because of the lack of any followup posts form that source. I haven't ever bothered to psot there so don't really know for sure though.

I really like a traditional machine - a screen in front of me that stand up by itself and a good keyboard that I could pound on if I was really getting into the swing of a response. I hate tapping at screens which aren't made for real human sized fingers. I'm a dinosaur.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Fran Farmer wrote: ...

yeah, plus i don't want to carry any gadgets around and if i'm away from the keyboard it means i'm also probably not going to answer the phone until i come back in from the gardens.

they're really slow too for someone used to touch typing.

i used to get actual written responses to notes to people. now i get "ru thr?" or other similar one- liners.

songbird (fellow dinosaur

Reply to
songbird

LOL. I'm suspect I'm even more of a dinosaur than you. I cna't understand all this need for instant and constant contact. TMWOT, the mobile phone plugged in people need to get a life. I watch people in cafes and am astounded that they would prefer to look at a little screen than the people they are with or their own tiny children who I can see are doing things to attract attention and get the parent away from their screen. Pathetic, IMO. The parent will be the only one to blame when their kids grow up and care so little for their parent that they refuse to change their parents incontinence pads.

I've only ever sent one text message on my mobile phone (as a test) and (as far as I know) have never received one (and wouldn't respond even if I was sent one).

I don't answer my mobile phone either and I have only given out my mobile phone number to 2 family members who know better than to ring me unless I'm off travelling and even then I'm always travelling with one of them.

It's there for MY convenience so that I can ring if I need to do so, not to make me accessible at all hours of the day or to anyone who doesn't have the patience to ring, leave a message on the home phone and then wait for a reponse.

Yay!!!

Reply to
Fran Farmer

not too likely, we don't have cellphones (either of us) and there are no plans to get one. Ma won't even touch a computer any more (she used to have to use an old system at the trucking company, but since she retired i've been her "secretary").

it went from beating drums and smoke signals at a distance to constant intrusion. what i think is missed is the capability to be confident and content alone. and not that i think many people are content anyways (it may not be a natural state for any being who can "survive"), but being able to know how to relax and be alone without a radio or even being able to sit and observe is a skill and it's being lost in most people. when left alone a lot of people become frantic, addled or disconcerted to the point that they seem like ants cut off from their colony.

whenever a certain sibling brings up the point about cell phones i say to them, "i'm rarely not home. if you want to buy one for me and pay the bill i'll keep it." so far, no cell phone. :) which is more than what happened when some folks gave Ma a cell phone when she was being a nanny for their kids. she just stuffed it in her drawer and left it there.

yeah, i gave up being 24hr contactable when i quit work full time (in '96) and i haven't regretted a moment since.

it's getting interesting as eventually i'll have to replace this desktop (it's already been through a replaced motherboard and the replacement is used too so i have no real expectation it's going to last much longer, but i hope it does).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Well I've decided that I'm a slightly newer model dinosaur than you 2 are. :-)) I do have a mobile phone, not that it gets pulled out or used from one month to the next, but I could live without one like you tow do. lets face it, we went for decades without owning one so it's no drama to go back to that if need be.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.

One saying I've always liked is: "I'm never less alone than when by myself". Him and I are both people who have a very satisfactory and pleasing life - we both have hobbies that we enjoy, keep us busy and entertained and challenged and we both laugh a lot each day and are very content with our lives. I cant think of anything I need to make my life more content.

Yes. I've observed that too.

:-)) I like that.

Atta boy!!!

My husband replaced ours when i was away for 5 weeks about 18 months ago and although I hated this machine at first (new Microsoft shit on it that isn't as good as the old Microsoft) I'm now used to it. I still think the new microsoft stuff is shit, but at least I can now do most of the things that I used to be able to do. Some things I still haven't figured out how to do but it's been so long now I no longer miss the way I used to be able to do certain things.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

:) yep. once in a while people complain that they can't get ahold of us when we are both out, but we do have an answering machine. i think an important part of "being out" for me is the idea that it is different, a break from the routine. with me, i'm such a homebody anyways... years ago i almost joined a monastery and one of the vows was a vow of stability -- i liked that, it meant that they didn't just run out for random things all the time. they had one person who usually did their errands and that was it, everyone else stayed put for the most part. it was a real change for them that they would come down to our once a month Tai Chi class and i got to know them well and would go up to visit and practice at their place when the weather was better (May-Sept). they've expanded quite a bit since i first met them. beautiful location on the shore of Lake Superior. winter months can be a real challenge... good for the contemplative sorts.

i've been through enough that i've figured out i don't need a lot to be happy and content. yes, there's always room for improvement, but none of those things are critical to me.

and having conversations that aren't interrupted by pings from cellphones/ipads etc. becomes harder.

seems to be working... :)

wasn't it just yesterday when i was working part-time at the library? i think i quit that around five years ago... time is going by quickly.

i deleted my WinXP partition some time ago, i was only using it for e-mail by that time. my heart really belongs in the Unix world as that was where i did a ton of the college class work and also some of my other work. i've mostly been using Debian GNU Linux for odd projects and fun stuff for 10-15 years.

to me the functions are all the same it's just figuring out how to do whatever i need to do using the interfaces that others are designing. i'm on the third desktop (KDE

-> Gnome -> Mate) and there are many others to choose from if Mate ever wanders too far from what i need (Mate is similar to the traditional Windows interface), but it looks so far that Mate is doing just fine.

i think a lot of the newer software is really rotten too (dumbed down so it can be used via tablets and such). i'm glad i don't have to use any of it.

desktop users are probably going to be rarer birds as time keeps marching on, yet i think there will always be some of us around.

songbird

Reply to
songbird