What is this stringy weed in my ice plant

I live in Southern California. This stringy weed has invaded my iceplant and I do not know how to get rid of it. it is unsightly and creates mats. It is so badly interspersed with my regular ice plant that I cannot pull individual strands. What is it? How do I get rid of it?

Walter E.

It is a small leaf iceplant. Had it in my front yard in San Jose and mostly liked it. I don't know how to kill it, as I never tried.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

usually repeatedly cutting it to the ground should eventually take it out, but you do have to be persistent and consistent. for larger patches i'll set goals of so many square feet at a time to get weeded and then the next time i'll scan what i've done previously for what i've missed before starting on the next part. after a few seasons the problem plants are hard to find and what i've left behind has taken over.

if you want to go the mechanical route, digging and removing all roots found and then replanting with what you do want to grow in that space, followed by a regular close eye to remove any regrowth from bits or seeds that you missed the first time around.

smothering it with landscape fabric and a fairly deep layer of mulch is another option.

songbird

Reply to
songbird