What is this growing in my yard?

s this some weed? How do i get rid of this? I live in SoutheastTexas and i have St. Augustine grass. It is growing in patches sparsely throughout my front and back yard. Thanks.

?action=view&current=Picture001-1.jpg

Reply to
zcarenow

up here in wisconsin, we call that clover!

Reply to
readandpostrosie

It looks like clover. Just get a rabbit, they love it!!

RBM

It lookes like the greenest thing you have. I would keep it

Reply to
gfretwell

Clover, it will spread so pull it out now or you will be sorry. (I'm also in SE TX)

Li

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Looks like clover. A lot of people don't like it. Don't know why because it stays green and is low growing. The small flowers it has and they supply bees with nectar.

Reply to
Marina

Given your location, it's probably a type of oxalis rather than clover, but the difference is largely academic and the two are similar in appearance -- except when flowering.. It's a tough plant to get rid of, but if you let it go it can take over --

Reply to
JimR

I don't know what the weeds are, but I enjoyed looking at the beautiful women in your photo album,...........oh, and the cars are cool, too.

Reply to
SRN

Clover or lemon grass.

Lemon grass will form small yellow flowers, has a thin stems and grows 4 inches tall or more.

Clover stays lower to the ground with purple or white flowers.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Clover or a relative. If you don't like it weed it out now, while it is small. Or wait until next year, and hit it with an herbicide that stops germination of dicot (ie not grass) seeds, then weed out the survivors. Odds are, much of it is growing from seed.

Una

Reply to
Una

Looks like clover to me. It's green, don't worry about it.

S. Barker

It looks like clover to me too. See:

I would also visit a "real" garden center (not Home Depot) and ask their advice on herbicides. They will know what's approved in your state and generally suitable for the local climate and soil conditions.

If you don't like that stuff, deal with it now. Clover will spread quite agressively and that will only make it harder to control.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Mark Witczak

It looks like oxalis to me. If it begins to give bright yellow flowers on a tallish stem, it definitely is. It will pretty much disappear by May or June and then come back quadruple next winter. Good luck getting rid of it. I've been trying for two years, making limited headway. It's almost impossible to clear out without destroying everything else growing near it.

Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR

i'm with you, i LOVE clover!

Reply to
readandpostrosie

Clover used to be considered advantageous for lawns. It greens up faster than grass and fixes nitrogen so it helps the soil. Weed & Feed kills it along with other broadleaf weeds so the fertilizer companies just listed clover as a weed on their packaging and now thats how many people think of it.

Reply to
Jeff

Looks like Tea weed to me, hit it with a little Roundup while the St Augustine is dormant. This stuff shouldnt stay around very long if your St Augustine is very healthy as SA will normaly choke out just about anything. Healthy SA will usually take out sand spurs and crabgrass.

Jimmie

Reply to
Jimmie D

Yep, and particularly, once N levels reach values grasses like, the clover will gradually fade on its own to regenerate more densely when N levels fall again...all in all, not much to be said against it imo.

White clover, anyway...some of the red or field clovers are pretty coarse for lawns--I didn't look at pic's but from what others have said I'd presume that's what OP has (white, that is)...

--

Reply to
dpb

Your weeds don't seem to ahve any grass around them.......or is the grass dormant? We have St. Aug. in Florida, and the weed looks like sorrel. Here is a link:

Lawn care:
Generally, broadleaf herbicides will take care of it very quickly, but you have to get the grass in good, actively growning condition before you apply them. We rehabbed or condo lawn, and it surprised the neighbors to see a healthy, green lawn again. We used liquid herbicide with hose-end sprayer. Always after fertillizing a couple of weeks previous and when the weather isn't too hot. You can get by with very little herbicide use if you water, fertillize and mow properly. Good luck.

Reply to
Norminn

Us kids used to have fun looking for 4 leaf clover.

Reply to
Marina