OT? Semi-catatonic Ebay vendors

Ebay vendors are like the gen'l population. A few very good and perfectly conscientous. A few definitely derelict and very irresponsible. And a whole bunch in between.

I bid on and won a little elec. keyboard. A power converter was part of the auction. The keyboard arrived and is OK. The PC did not.

The vendor swears the PC was in the package passed to Fedex. It wasn't. She didn't say if she packed it herself.

This is the case of the derelict vendor: she is anything but in control of her operations.

I know from experience that if I leave negative feedback, Ebay will Cheerfully, Cheerfully allow her to do the same for me (without investigating anything). I bid in good faith, payed promptly, etc, etc.

What can be done?

Thx, Willie

Reply to
Cadillac.coffin

I read recently that Ebay was changing the feedback policy.

Reply to
Bob F

The eBay feedback system is broken, and it has been for a long time. Most sellers hold feedback 'hostage', and will not positive feedback you unless you do it first. This is so in case if you negative them, they can retaliate against you with a negative. As a buyer, the only obligation is to pay on a timely basis. I guess they recently changed the feedback system on ebay to try and fix this, but am not sure about the details. I would go through the dispute resolution process on ebay, but you are probably stuck on getting the power converter.

You ought to be able get a power converter for it at Radio Shack.

Good Luck!!

Reply to
J.A. Michel

conscientous. A

e auction. The

e didn't say if

her operations.

If you are worried about your reputation being sullied, try this:

You get 80 characters. Click the Neutral button and leave this feedback:

Didn't receive Power Converter. Seller says it shipped. Still working on issue.

Completely honest and accurate, yet gets your point across without giving the seller any reason to slam you.

Then go through the eBay dispute resolution process if you feel it's worth the time and energy.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Negative feedback really only affects you as a seller and never as a buyer. I only buy on ebay, so I think nothing of posting negative feedback if item is not shipped timely. One time a seller gave me negative feedback as a repercussion to the feedback I had left him. I had replied to it, "Why couldnt you provide carrier, date of shipment or tracking number?"

The main thing I have done to ensure I receive what I ordered is to always pay paypal by my credit card. I never let them tap into my bank account directly. If you do allow them to tap into your bank account directly, you may as well kiss that money goodbye because you have to go through their resolution process.

If you pay paypal with a credit card, you can call your credit cards

800 number and dispute the charge as goods not received. The visa company then notifies paypal that they are with holding payment for that transaction. Then paypal in turn withholds payment to the vender.

I have had to do this twice in the last 5 years and both time it was resolved quickly in my favor with only a phone call. I simply told them I have not received any response from the seller nor the merchandise and my card was immediately refunded the money. In another instance, I used a Buy It Now for a college textbook. I also paid 25 dollars for express shipping (10.00 for regular on that auction). I sent the seller four emails over 4 days and got no reply. In the fourth email I said if I did not hear from him within 24 hours, I would dispute the charge with my credit card company. I didnt hear from him and I actually waited 48 additional hours before I disputed the charge. Then after 8 days from the close of the auction I finally got a reply. He said "Sorry for the delay, will ship tomorrow". I told him not to bother because I had already disputed the charge with my CC Company. He sent it anyways and I marked refused on the item and handed it back to the postman. I then called my credit card company and told them what happened. I said I paid for express shipping and he waited 8 days to take it to the post office. He charged me 25 dollars and the postage was only $8.40. As a result, I received a full refund from my credit card company and they withheld the payment to paypal. The seller was pretty angry but I told him it was his own fault. He also had other negative feedbacks left for not answering his emails and slow shipping. I had also left him negative feedback and told him if he wanted, he could leave me the same, but since I only buy on ebay it would have no effect on me. He never left me any feedback at all but I really wouldnt have cared if he had.

Take Care Pat

Reply to
komobu

Call your credit card company ASAP and get them involved.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

conscientous. A

didn't say if

operations.

Tell someone who gives a shit?

Reply to
wijdg

[...]

Immediately file a SNAD (significantly not as described) with eBay. It is part of their dispute resolution process.

Una

Reply to
Una

Largely true. Buyer can execute everything flawlessly, seller can dump a blind-idiot knee-jerk negative on 'em without fail (unless they've really changed it).

I'll dispute it just on gen'l principle.

Dubious, at least for reasonable money.

I oughta be able to find one in my basement. There's near a whole box of 'em down there. You wouldn't believe all the differing output voltages and connectors they implement. Virtually nothing fits nothing else.

Cheers, I

Reply to
Interlocutor

Not necessarily true. I see some sellers plainly state that acceptable payment methods -can- depend on buyers feedback.

I'm a registered seller but haven't been selling anything. And probably won't: it's looked like a circus for several years.

Good advice.

It's not safe to give one's bank routing # to much of anybody.

It may come to that, eventually.

Good for you. If you do everything right, you have a right to expect proper performance under the agreement.

Just curious: which "credit card company" was so helpful?

Thx, Willie

Reply to
Cadillac.coffin

Pffft. You do that every time you write a check -- along with the account number.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You wanna know how often that is, now all the banks etc have free bill pay? I've written about 3 checks in the last year, and all were tendered to a person/entity that I *knew* very well.

I expect to write less this year. Maybe 0 in 2009.

Interlocutor

I explained that I would do this to the seller. She offered a partial credit. I guess I'll accept.

It's all silly: unless she was lying, she had the part and used it to test the unit. Unless they shipped it with a different unit (with which it wouldn't work), she still has it. But can't find it. Sheeesh!!

Much Thanks, Willie

Reply to
Cadillac.coffin