OT: Ebay advice

I've just put a smart watch on ebay, and had a strong offer - £20 above the going rate (£140). The German buyer has 2 positive feedbacks, over a year old. No transactions at all for 12 months or more.
If they're paying with Paypal, is there a higher than usual risk here?
--
Cheers, Rob

On 24/05/2019 20:12, RJH wrote:

Good chance of the account being hacked.

Much more likely he doesn’t realise what the usual price for it is.
No real point in hacking an account like that just so it gets bad feedback when it isnt paid for or the buy is cancelled.
Or just a kid of the account holder buying something it shouldn’t.
On 24/05/2019 20:12, RJH wrote:

There are lots of different scams and there's no certainty that you won't get stung whatever you do.
You say the German buyer is offering over the odds but is it over the odds in Germany? Maybe twenty quid over the odds here is a bargain over there?
There are national differences: last night I almost won a camera from ebay USA. It finally sold for about 60% of the typical ebay UK price because that's what it goes for over there. Muggins here only offered 50% which is why I lost it.
Nick
On Friday, 24 May 2019 20:12:18 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

I don't think so, provided you use a *fully tracked* postage service which Paypal can verify delivery with - and which will accept a watch and cover it with insurance.
Owain
On 24/05/2019 20:52, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

+1 .........making sure it is signature required at the other end.
On 24/05/2019 20:52, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

That provides evidence it was delivered, but it's easy to change eBay and PayPal addresses online. The PayPal transaction can still be reversed if fraud has taken place.
I might be tempted to ask PayPal if they could verify the account details and indemnify the transaction.

Not of you have accurately described it and its in the state you said it is.
On 25/05/2019 00:43, Rod Speed wrote:

Yes, it is, and I'd accept an unconditional full refund return anyway (less postage).
And thanks everyone - I'll look into accepting the offer subject to a Paypal payment, and verified delivery.
--
Cheers, Rob

Selling or buying small expensive items on Ebay are both high risk occupations. Watches and Mobile phones in particular. A buyer wanting to pay/buy outside of the eBay platform and pay a bit over the odds and you are talking of disinfecting and barge poles.
It is worth remembering that in any transaction dispute Ebay and Paypal tend to favour the buyer over the seller.
Possible scenario (as reported regularly by others) Overseas Buyer buys watch paying by Paypal. Seller sends it and buyer receives watch signing as having done so.
Two days late buyer contacts seller to say watch is not working and arranges return with seller. So far so good.
Buyer sends package and even gives seller return tracking number. Seller receives and signs for package. Shortly afterwards Seller opens package and finds it contains a bit of scrap plastic to make up to correct postage weight for watch but no watch.
Seller contacts buyer who says they sent the watch and seller is trying to scam them.
Buyer demands money back and contacts Paypal. Seller says buyer sent rubbish back. Buyer wails to Paypal. Paypal find package returned by tracked method to right address and signed for. Paypal support Buyer who has proof of delivery and remove money from Sellers account and return to Buyer who now has both the watch and the money.
Ebay accounts which have been silent for some time are often targeted by thieves who use them to defraud others.
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/what-is-the-seller-protection-policy-and-what-items-aren%E2%80%99t-covered-faq1156 is Paypals seller protection page, there are other scams to watch out for.
On 25/05/2019 13:49, Peter Parry wrote:

Thanks for that, sounds similar to my situation. Update from ebay:
--
MC139 Alert about a message from another eBay member

Dear (me),