GE Front Loading Washer - Detergent still present after cycle

After a wash cycle, I still have soap in the washer. I have to run several rinses or a couple washs with no detergent to get rid of it. I am using extremely little detergent. Much less then what is called for.

So far I checked the screens in the hose lines to see if they were clogged. They were clean. I ran some powdered Cascade thru the washer. I was told this trick removes the detergent build-up inside. It didn't help. The service man want about $80 just to look at it.

Has anyone ever had this problem or does anyone know what is actually causing this so I can attempt to fix it myself?

Reply to
Saucer Man

Stop using powder products, best I can tell.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Front loader or recent top loader? You almost certainly have not been using a low sudsing detergent (branded these days with the "he" logo or the words "high efficiency"). Using less of a standard detergent is _not_ a good solution. It won't clear the washer (as you discovered) and it does not remove the soil from clothing.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

"Saucer Man" wrote in news:_tMrj.69720$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

Are you using "HE" Detergent? I suppose probably not. I don't use it, but use the "Ultra" detergents which are supposed to be almost the same (low sudsing). Even so, a front load like that is VERY sensitive to detergent amounts, especially for really small amounts. I bet that even though you are using very little, that it's still too much, or maybe you are just using regular detergent, and that it's still too much. I've never tried using Regular detergent, and you aren't supposed to, nor are you really supposed to use "Ultra" detergent. If you are using regular detergent, try Ultra, or better yet "HE" detergent. If you are already using "Ultra", try using less. If you are using "HE" then I don't know, because I've run very little of that and don't know how it behaves.

I hope this helps,

Danny

Reply to
Danny

Not that I've seen. The ultra detergents just have less water in them making them more concentrated. Being ultra does not make them low sudsing, which is what you need for the newer washers.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Rick, I think you have a point. For a while now, before you had pointed this out, I had wondered if I saw some bad information on the internet. I had read some postings that "Ultra" was supposed to be low sudsing, but actual use does not seem to bear this out, and I'm going to switch to "HE" like you are supposed to use, I just haven't been able to because the bargain grocery store that I shop at never has the HE Detergents, and there was a medical problem in the family now for a while that has kept me from looking elsewhere due to time. I'll look this week for some of the HE,and I'm sure I'll notice a difference. I would bet that the orignal poster is using Ultra or Regular detergents and I can tell you that even using miniscule amounts of detergent can result in too much suds. That can't have been allowing as much cleaning as I could have gotten with the correct detergent. I'll be interested to see if the poster will tell us what detergent that he's been using.

Danny

Reply to
Danny

Read the labels for the "ultra" products would've conveyed the correct information. I wonder why you'd consult the internet rather than read the labels.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Now now, I don't think they are that sensitive. When I first got my FL washer, I used detergent bought for my old TL washer on collars and stained areas. I sprayed it on, but did that for almost every item (I wanted to finish the regular detergent). I suppose my washer might have sudsing and level control.

Reply to
Nexus7

Nexus7 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

On mine, if I happen to have an emergency and have to throw in say, a couple of shirts that I might need to go somewhere, what seems to me to be about like about 1/2 teaspoon might make it pretty sudsy and do ok, or possibly foam over, but I've never measured it, so I'm going by a visual guestimate. I also have one of the small (normal sized for Europe) front load models, which might make a difference in comparison to those that are using something like a full size American Front Load Model.

Danny

Reply to
Danny

The presence of suds in modern laundry detergent is a marketing device and not an indication of how clean your clothes are getting. Putting a half teaspoon of detergent in a washer is not doing much more than washing in plain water.

In fact, that was the basis of those magic "laundry balls" someone was selling a few years ago. They were taking advantage of the residual detergent left in the clothing after a standard washer cycle and made people believe they were getting some magical cleaning action.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Gak! A quick Google search shows that these things are still being marketed. Barnum _was_ right....

Reply to
Rick Blaine

So are Beanie Babies, which were going to become INSTANT COLLECTOR'S ITEMS!!!

Oh boy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Rick Blaine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If I put more in and make it clean well, it foams over and out of the machine, which would be a good indication of what I said before, that I need to switch to "HE", which is what I should have been using before, correct? :)

Danny

Reply to
Danny

Correct!

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Sorry for not mentioning this in the OP but I am using HE detergent. I am using TIDE HE 2x Concentrate Liquid. I only put enough detergent in to cover the plastic on the bottom of the detergent tray. Probably about 1/16" deep.

Reply to
Saucer Man

Got a water softener?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No I don't. I have a well which I will be chlorinating soon.

Reply to
Saucer Man