GE WASHER AGITATOR REMOVAL

I have a GE Washer Model WVSR1060A1WW. I have found the parts diagram on multiple websites. Does anyone know how you get the agitator out of the machine? I thought if I took off the cap there would be a bolt, but there is just 4 plastic pieces that look like they are preaned and not removable. Any help would be appreciated.

Larry

Reply to
Old_Boat

Lift agitator with both hands? Can't see from here.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

I tried pulling it straight up, but I do not want to break it, but I think you may be correct.

larry

Reply to
Old_Boat

"Old_Boat" wrote in news:47aa50ec$0$16674$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

For what it's worth from a GE knowledgebase:

Washers - How To Remove the Agitator

To prevent the possibility of shock, it is best to disconnect power from the washer prior to attempting to remove the agitator.

Occasionally a garment may get caught under the agitator of the washer. Review the information below to see if you can resolve yourself.

1995 and newer:

The agitator cannot be removed as a do it yourself type of repair. It will require a GE technician to remove the agitator.

If you would like to schedule a service appointment, please contact GE Consumer Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule a service appointment on-line.

Compact Washers 1996 and Earlier:

The cap at the top of the agitator must be screwed off before agitator can be removed. Note: a few models have a 5/16" hex head screw that must be removed before the agitator can be lifted off.

1992 - 1995 Models ("R" and "S" model numbers) without "Handwash":

Pry agitator cap off with a screwdriver and remove large flathead or #40 torx screw. The agitator should lift off easily.

Handwash Agitator Models:

This is a difficult repair, as these models require the removal of a glued-down cap to get to a #20 or #50 torx screw. The cap can be bent during this process, necessitating a special glue to replace the cap. If cap is not replaced, the screw head remains exposed.

1992 and Earlier:

The agitator is removed by gripping the top of the agitator firmly and pulling straight up. Twice a year, remove the agitator on these models and lubricate the shaft with a small amount of petroleum jelly to keep it loose.

Note: if the agitator has not been pulled from the tub in a number of months or years, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to pull it off. At this point it will require a GE technician with a special tool (agitator puller) to remove the agitator.

Reply to
Red Green

Place your hands a 9 and 3 o'clock (cap off); between the tub and agitator...not a "pull" but pop it up gently.

Been a long time for me and this may not apply to you.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Ok got the agitator off. Seems that the agitator bell is all wallowed out. If you lift it up about a 1/4" it will catch the splines, but if it is down it just spins. Will get a new one and see if that fixes the problem.

LJ

Reply to
Old_Boat

You make us do it yourselfers proud.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Old_Boat" wrote in news:47ab905c$0$22652$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Party on Garth!

Reply to
Red Green

dn't agitate.

Reply to
markb9969

That agitator just pulls straight off its plastic coupling - hard. It sometimes helps to fill the tub with a few inches of hot water, then pump it out and pull. Makes the plastic retainers a little more flexible.

Just curious, but why do you want to take it off? To clean under it? Has there been an odor problem with it? If so, just leave the lid open when not in use.

Hope that's helpful.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 35-year pro repair technician! Save a service call! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (No 'strings' attached!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

The agitator was stripped out and I had to get it off to replace the agitator bell. Yes it came off when I pulled up real hard. Is all fixed now.

Reply to
Old_Boat

thanks Oren. It worked fine and the hub splines were totally gone.

Reply to
driftwood58

still tryin to get Sharpton and Jackson out and they have no spines

Reply to
ChairMan