aluminum siding flat or semi-gloss

Hi- My aluminum siding is chalky and in desperate need of paint. Should I buy semi-gloss or flat? Is new aluminum siding considered flat or semi-gloss? Also, I bought Krud Kutter from Home Depot for the pre-wash. If after cleaning should I prime the siding before painting?

Reply to
Tom

there are paints that can go over chalking paint, as chalk is difficult to completly remove, and should be, tsp works. chalk is cheap paint oxidising. Sherwin williams , and others have a line with lifetime warranty, that they say will bond to some chalk , use cheap paint it wont bond for long.

Reply to
mark Ransley

lightly brushed, then washed off. The paint washed off to bare aluminum. I was concerned the cleaner was to aggressive so I sampled another part of the house - more protected - and the Krud Kutter just cleaned and didn't remove the paint. Since part of this house will be stripped to the aluminum - should I prime or just cover with paint? I'll cover with paint the more protected and less chalky areas of the siding but I'm still not sure about the bare aluminum. Also is Glidden exterior paint from Home Depot any good? Thanks!

Reply to
Tom

To chalk that bad and go to aluminum it has really oxidised away.... Glidden, check their warranty and recomendation on the can.. Sherwin williams , co owned store , co trained, make their own product, they will assist you in your job completely, and will usually visit your job to ensure you do it right..They warranty their product, and have a product FOR your problem , nothing better than pro advise at your house!

Reply to
mark Ransley

IMHO

Prime the bare metal, prime the entire surface with primer apply a quality finish coat or two. Glidden? You are on your own. I can't recommend it.

Reply to
Colbyt