I'm Losing Roof Shingles As I Type This Message

Big winds have torn/are tearing off shingles today.

1) What are the short-term ramifications? There's no way I can get a roofer before the next expected precip. Are leaks inevitable?

2) Isn't it true that shingles installed in winter will tear because hot sun is needed to make the adhesive work? Thanks.

Reply to
Jack W

1..Very likely you will have leaks depending on if underlayer is damaged. 2.. Yes they need hot sun to heat the adhesive to make it stick good. The reason you replace shingle roofs in summer if possible.
Reply to
Jack

Stock up on blue tarps before they're all sold out...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Well, what portion of the shingle is being torn off, and how many? If it's just a few of the exposed tabs, and there's still shingle from the lower course in place, it shouldn't be a major concern for now.

Reply to
cavedweller

Maybe...

I own a house that has been losing tabs in high winds since 1998. Still not leaking.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Make a written record of all of the following.

  1. Call you home owner's insurance agent. They may cover repairs. Also they should have some suggestions. Have them send an agent to see the conditions.
  2. Photo the damage, always use a camera with time date stamp. And start with overall views then take close-ups.
  3. Check inside of the house for leeks and take photos (dated) showing no previous damage.
  4. Have some one (not related) view the areas for a wittiness if/and when needed, especially if not damaged now.
  5. Was this roof installed for you? Either way extensive damage and repairs may be covered by 1 above.
  6. How is this waneteed? Labor and materials. (shingles can have a prorated warrantees) Call the installing get on the clock. Also get the manufactures ID.

Let us all, know how it all comes out.

TEC

Reply to
tcarpenter9339

Nice try at answering the OP's questions. :)

Reply to
cavedweller