Does anyone know what this plant/weed is?

Hello everyone, I have three of these plants/weeds in my garden and am trying to find out exactly what it is. It has long red stems with leaves on opposite sides of the stem and has dark brown/black single berries. It seems to grow outwards rather than up. I have included a photo.

I have spent hours going through images on the internet but cant find it. Thank you so much for your help!

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: strange plant.jpg | |Download:
CheshireCouple

Looks like one of the Hypericums (St John's Wort) to me. If you haven't yet seen them, it will have yelllow flowers.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Brooklyn1

have their leaves arranged alternately, not opposite (as in the OP's picture).

Jeff Layman

Thank you so much for your comments, I think it might be Hypericum. I will be watching out for the yellow flowers to confirm. I hope it isnt deadly nightshade, just read about it and am scared!

CheshireCouple

Why would you be scared of deadly nightshade? Do you make a habit of picking weeds and eating them?

I only eat weeds I can positively identify. For instance, when I weed in the spring, I pluck wild radish sprouts, rinse them, and add them to salads. Stinging nettle is said to make a good soup, though I haven't tried.

Reply to
Sean Straw

Actually, I do. Many common garden weeds are edible, delicious and just as (or more so) nutricious as commonly grown greens.

Nettle makes a delicious potherb, much better than spinach IMO.

Reply to
Steve Peek

A friend of mine offered me some weeds to grow indoors. I am currently growing them now but they give off a very strong odour which fills the house. Im not sure what variety they are but they have pointy leaves, 7 or 9 on each stem. Any idea what they could be ? Im new to the whole gardening thing so dont really know much about them.

arry the plant

They sound very similar to the ones I have growing in my conservatory..and while they look attractive, I have also decided to experiment and am currently drying some of the leaves to see if they retain their odour, they may even have some medicinal purpose.. I'll keep you posted...

WD

Wine Delilah