Anyone know what this is!

These are growing up all over our garden. The bulb smells a bit like garlic, but the flower are wrong. Long stem, no leaves at all. just a long stem, with the flower? at the top.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: rescled.jpg | |Download:
Suebdo

you are likely familiar. The bulb and flower head are perfect fits. The specific allium is trickier to pin without knowing size or seeing the flower in full bloom.

Some alliums are grown purely for decoration, and not for eating, though. It encompasses quite a large groups of plants.

Do a quick google search on images for the word "allium" and you will see a large variety of them and perhaps better be able to spot what is in your garden.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Agreed, it is definitely an allium. No leaves, huh? Between that fact and the appearance of the flower head, it looks like a mixed-up chive.

Tony M.

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Bill who putters

Agree it is an Allium, and apomictic: it has seedlings (bulbils) growing out of its flowers.

A number of cultivated species in the onion genus Allium do this. A common one is "pregnant onion", one or more varieties of Allium cepa, the common onion. Possibly this is the same as Bill's "walking Egyptian onion", but that name can refer to another species, Allium proliferum, which may itself be a cross between A. cepa and A. fistulosum.

("Pregnant onion" can also refer to Ornithogalum longebracteatum, which is no kind of onion.)

Una

Reply to
Una

This is a cool weather plant with grass-like leaves. The leaves will have died back by this time of year, leaving only the flower stalks.

Pat Kiewicz

I thought it was a Allium, but it has had no flowers. I thought some would come, but they haven't. Just the seed pods. No even very small flowers.

Una;892335 Wrote:

Suebdo