Can anyone identify this plant please

Seen in the gardens at Cottesbrooke today.

Help appreciated

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
NOTTNICK

I notice that the webpage link I put in is pefixed with google when clicked on.

Reply to
NOTTNICK

Something in the Pinks family (Caryophyllaceae), I think.

Possibly a white culitvar of Lychnis (campion) or Agrostemma (corncockle)?

Plant trivia: 'Pink' originally refered to the *notching* found on the flower petals, and only later came to mean the *color* that is typical of most pinks. (The older meaning of the word continues in use for the special type of scissors known as "pinking shears.")

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

The leaves at the bottom of the photos resemble four o'clocks, as do the flowers.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Looks like a damnable "four o'clock" (Mirabilis jalapa spp), to me. So-named because the ephemeral flowers begin closing by mid-afternoon. Available in a wide range of colors, some have serrated or denticulated leaves. Frost-tender, self-seeding, invasive, persistent, PITA. I've been mowing the same 25 y/o patch of damnable 4:00 for 15 years! A curse left behind by some yahoo who thought they were "pretty", I guess.

Reply to
balvenieman

Yes, I see what you mean. The blossoms resemble 4:00 but that's all. The foliage, assuming that I'm looking at the right stuff, is familiar but my old brain isn't connecting this morning....

Reply to
balvenieman

Spiderwort! That's what the foliage reminds me of. However, the blossom is different from the native plants in my back yard AWA from white ones I could find illustrated on W3.

Reply to
balvenieman

Had an e-mail from the original poster. It turned out to be a white cultivar of corncockle (Agrostemma)

Final ID: Agrostemma githago 'Ocean Pearls'

Apparently, this species is considered an invasive weed in parts of North America (reseeding annual).

Pat Kiewicz