Hi does anyone know what these two spiky things are, please?

Hi There!!

First question = what are these plants both called? Second = Is it worth raising the "bush" from seeds? Third = Will the other more feathery plant actually flower at some point before it swamps our garden and swallows it whole!!??

Fanx

Glenys Sheffield UK

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: _DSC0008A.jpg | |Download:
||Filename: _DSC0007A.jpg | |Download:
||Filename: IMG_6282web.jpg | |Download:
Glenys Everest

The plant in the first two pictures is a broom, most likely Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius) but possibly Spanish Broom (Spartium junceum). They are easily cultivated from seed and are fast growers once established, but they are considered invasive in many locales. The plant in the third picture looks familiar but ID evades me.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Hi Glenys, The left hand picture is of the seeds of the plant in the middle picture and its a Cytisus of some sort, commonly called 'broom'. If I had to guess, i'd plump for Cytisus praecox which has lovely creamy 'pea-like' flowers in Spring. You can grow it from the seeds but the subsequent plants may not be the colour of the parent plant due to gentics of which ever plant the pollen came from ? Cant help with the plant on the right but a guess would be some type of cosmos (looking at the foliage). Lannerman.

lannerman

In message , Amos Nomore writes

Cytisus scoparius is just broom in Britain.

It might be Cosmos bipinnatus. (I see Centaurea cyanus, Eschscholtzia californica and what might be Helianthus annuus in that photo, so it looks like an annual seed mix).

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley