Flower ID please

Hi

I was hoping some of you lovely people could help me ID this flower, it has sprung up this year and I have never seen it before. Does it grow wild?

I hope the pic has attached, I am bit confused!!!

Thanks Mat

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: IMAG0314.jpg | |Download:
Matildapuddycat

I think that might be columbine.

Reply to
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl

Matildapuddycat wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Columbine. _Aquilegia_. I can't say which species.

Reply to
Alfred Falk

:-)) There is no 'might' about it - your identification was spot on. It is a Columbine.

Reply to
Farm1

Columbine is a perennial. All species are quite hardy, but many also tolerate hot summers (e.g., southern California). Some grow wild in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, and there is a wild species (Aquilegia vulgaris) native to Europe.

The plants require good drainage but are otherwise not fussy about soil. They tend to be short-lived. Both hybrids and species readily reseed, which is good in a garden because then seedlings replace the older plants.

Reply to
David E. Ross