OT: Antivirus and other antimalware stuff

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions regarding my possible self-employment in my recent "Computer wholesalers" thread. I really appreciate the accumulated wisdom of this group and would like to put one further point to you regarding computer virus and other malware removal.
It's obvious that one of the tasks a computer maintenance guy is going to be asked to do is to deal with virus/trojan and other malware infections and to get rid of them. It wasn't too bad in the early days of computers when viruses were more of an annoyance rather than harmful but todays viruses and trojans are much more sinister, looking for banking and credit card info and suchlike. They are also much more difficult to get rid of and have even become 'intelligent' in that they will actively hide themselves away and even prevent downloading and/or running of removal tools.
Given that, can we ever be 100% certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt that we have absolutely, categorically got rid of the nasties? It's one thing to try and get rid of nasties on my own machine when it's my own bank account/credit card details at risk but when it's a paying customer and their details at risk...?
A mate of mine doesn't mess about - at the first hint of an infection he deletes the system partition of his hard drive, creates a new partition and then rebuilds from a known good, clean image that he's got. Is that overkill or, considering that a paying customer's details are at risk and I'll be putting my name to the repair, is it the best thing to do? Any other suggestions on disinfecting a machine and knowing that it's 100% clean and safe after the procedure?
TIA
Fred wrote:

Nowadays no, I think anything less is asking for trouble.
Of course you can copy data files off onto a USB drive before scrubbing, then virus scan that disc before copying them back after re-instllation.
You'll need to work out how you're going to deal with customers who have no reinstallation media ... or whose software licences are less than squaky clean.

I would guess that the majority.
My last three computers have not come with such a beast and I have no idea how to get one (and I'm a computer professional - though obviously not with PCs)
tim
On 05/09/2011 19:53, tim.... wrote:

Usually the "restore" files are on a hidden partition, which is accessed with a specific combination of keypresses during startup.
There's usually a utility included to write them out to DVDs and reclaim the partition for normal use.
SteveW
On 05/09/2011 17:48, Fred wrote:

The local repair place only offers a wipe and reinstall option for malware issues - allegedly for this very reason. Of course they then charge extra for "data recovery"...
I spent the best part of 2 days removing a nasty infestation from a PC that "must not be wiped" I made sure it was 100% clean, but he paid for the time involved! Rootkits and encrypted registry entries were involved, it was messy :(
Lee

The proper way to "not mess about" is not to use Windows in the first place. Then all the above incantations will not be needed.
--
Tim

On 05/09/2011 18:30, Tim Streater wrote:

You forgot two words.
"... will not be needed AS OFTEN".
Mac and Linux malware is much rarer, but does exist.
Andy
Andy Champ wrote:

No one has actually ever pointed me to any linux malware at all.
It potentially exists, and for sure you can get javascript stuff, but it isn't as destructive.
Linux tends to be more hacked than subject to malware.

Or Mac malware either.
--
Tim

Tim Streater wrote:

Oh, there are times when I think the whole font subsystem is Mac malware..

:-)
I suppose my intervention was OT in an already OT thread. I just shake my head in amazement at how many people seem to consider farting about with virus software and "cleaning the registry" (whatever that may be) as perfectly normal activities. WTF?
--
Tim

It's just another demonstration that people can get used to anything.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 30th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3177
Sing, for song drives away the wolves.
Tim Streater wrote:

Indeed. if there is one reason above all others to go 'linux' or if you must OSX, its to eliminate the registry...and insulate yourself from viral attacks.
On 05/09/2011 18:30, Tim Streater wrote:

Which advice ignores the fact that Windows has the widest choice of software available, which has the best support available and does not require a deep and abiding interest in computers to use it. It is the only practical choice for the vast majority of business users.
Colin Bignell

Well it appears to need it, doesn't it? If you have a car that needs servicing every 1000 miles, don't be surprised to see service shops for that model all over the place, compared to not many for the model that runs 50k miles between services. It's no good then turning round and saying that the former must be better because there are lots of service centres for it.

Well it seems that it does require such an interest, judging by these threads.

That's because it's what the company's IT dept foists on everyone. AKA jobs for the boys.
--
Tim

On 06/09/2011 10:17, Tim Streater wrote:

Not in my experience.

You will also see a lot more places that service Ford, as compared to Ferrari. That is because a lot more people buy Fords.

That depends upon your definition of 'better'. For most business users, better means easy to install, easy to use and compatible with what everyone else uses.

Not in my experience.

75% of businesses in Britain have just one person in them. Over 98% have under 20 employees. They don't have IT departments, but do want programmes that work out of the box and printers that are compatible from the moment they are plugged in.
Colin Bignell

Makes you wonder why they don't buy more Apple kit, then?
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 30th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3177
Sing, for song drives away the wolves.
On 06/09/2011 13:10, Huge wrote:

Those who need to work with graphics probably do.
Colin Bignell
Nightjar wrote:

Thats only one part of it, and most of the MacApps are now ported to windows anyway.
Apple means 'i've got cash, I like bling, and I can afford to take it into an apple dealer to sort out every time I realise I am too stupid to own a computer'
It is the default choice for the chattering classes now.
Windows is just plain common, dont you know..

What is bling and why would I want it on my Mac Mini?
Never taken any of my Macs to any dealer. I took a disk in once after the controller board was fried by a thunderstorm. But the nice girly there said they had another just the same which had had a head crash so they gave me the controller board off that. £10, all sorted.
So are you saying that Windows users who are too stupid to operate a computer *don't* have to take it to a dealer when it goes wrong?
--
Tim