OT: What's the point in vibrating mobiles?

So you're somewhere like a cinema, or a meeting, where you don't want to disturb anyone. So you put the phone on vibrate. Then what? Have a phonecall in front of everyone? Disturb everyone by leaving?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

sometimes, other things are more importnat than the meeting you are attending. Yes, leave the room and deal with it. Or, if it's not that important, wait until the meeting is over.

Reply to
charles

Phonecalls are never as important as the person calling thinks they are.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's the recipient who decides whether it's important.

Reply to
charles

No in the cinema you turn it off, you conserve your battery. Vibrating mobiles are very good in noisy streets as you can feel it. They also seem to work under pillows, but I feel that is dangerous. If you put one on a very hard surface, quite often its louder than the ringing and you don't have the embarrassment of a custom ring tone upsetting anyone.

Another way to save power is to do what we blindies do, put the phone in curtain mode, ie turn off the light in the screen. Saves loads of battery, and turn on voice over or talkback etc, and use it as we do sliding fingers about and listening to the options through your earphones instead of squinting at a screen, good for your eyes mate.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The vibration feature is so that deaf people know they have an incoming telephone call :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

Some ladies seem to like them, for whatever reason...

Reply to
Me

Bob Eager

And as I said, they are never important enough to interrupt what you're doing.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Since I have a phone not made by apple, I don't have to think about conserving batteries.

I can hear mine ringing on a noisy street. But I wouldn't be able to hear the conversation, so no point anyway!

How on earth can it be dangerous to put it under your pillow?

Sometimes the vibration makes them fall off the hard surface onto another hard surface and then breaks the screen.

My ring tone is simply the sound of a telephone ringing. Anything else gets jammed in my head.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why should they like them more than men? Never heard of a "vibrating vagina"?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Ahh Maggie Philbin!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And at least you haven't irritated the *f*ck* out of the other meeting attendees with your shitty ring tone.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Dad, I think Mam's had another stroke. But she's not even breathing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Hello Mrs Wright. This is the Northern General, cardiology. Your remote monitoring is giving us cause for concern. Do you have transport? Could you get here straight away?

And twenty-five years ago when I was in the Buttercross at Tickhill: "Bill, phone call for you." "Dad, I don't want to worry you but there's a helicopter just over the house shining a light down and there's policemen everywhere in the garden." We had a problem getting into the village because of the roadblock. It turned out some crims had escaped from a prison van on the motorway and had run towards our house. They were captured soon after.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

He always was and always will be. Did you know that he has no running hot water, has 11 cats, several birds, no woman, no chance of getting one, lives alone, can't afford disinfectant and is unemployable. He has a degree you know.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Hard to stick your dick in a phone.

Reply to
Max Demian

Use two and make a sandwich.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Did you not teach your child the number for 999?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And you use a mobile for that!? You mean it doesn't alert you seperately?

And you getting there helped how?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword