Temproary fix to caravan paintwork

Quick question whilst I research in parallel.

I am about to mount a rear view camera to the back of the caravan using Sikaflex.

Before I do that I would like to mount it temporarily to get it in the correct position. This could involve several attempts.

So I need something which is reasonably sticky but temporary, and where any residue can be cleaned off caravan paintwork easily.

Apart from double sided spongy tape (which has in the past sometimes been a bastard to remove) as used for number plates is there anything else reassuringly strong but also easily removed?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Gaffer tape.

And I'd fix the camera with double sided VHB tape. You won't get that off in a hurry (I've used it to mount GoPros externally on cars before now) and it's much less messy than Sikaflex, e.g.;

Huge

How heavy is the camera? Would blue tack hold it long enough for you to be able to get the position correct?

Or, is it just a matter of an assistance holding it in various positions until you get the right view?

re double sided tape - use a less strong one such as is used to string 'fairy lights' at Christmas as these have a tab to enable easy removal.

Reply to
Mark Allread

In message , David writes

Strips of self adhesive Velcro? Sticks well, but not to the point of being non removable.

Reply to
Graeme

Blutak

Reply to
John Rumm

If it's a smooth finish, one or more suckers

If it's a metal panel, a magnet

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

aren't most caravan panels aluminium allot?

Reply to
charles

Do they still use metal panels on Caravans? The ones I used to take notice of were aluminium rather than steel panels to keep the weight down. The reason we took notice was they were a good source of aluminium sheet for the odd project and a scrap caravan was cost hardly anything.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I think cpc do a gunge remover that is supposed to not remove paint.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Camera is quite big.

Weighs 960 grams (so just under a kilogram).

Rear is roughly 280 * 155 mm.

So not in the same size bracket as a GoPro or similar.

I think blu tack might do it if I bought quite a large packet.

The assistant would be walking around at the back waving arms so I could judge the viewing area.

Thinking about it, I might want to go for a short drive before finalising the position; I've found this helps when doing the fine adjustment for wing mirrors. So it needs to be a robust fixing which can last through a few bumps and the rear of the caravan going up and down.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Hmm probably not

I think what you need (to be sure of not losing it) is a sucker of the type use to carry glass or something similar.

Attach camera to that using heavy duty Velcro. That will also allow a major repositioning via moving the sucker around and fine tuning by use of the velcro.

In due course I'll be interested to learn what camera you have and how you view the image...but not just yet :-)

Reply to
Mark Allread

I've just checked your figures and you're quite right.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thank you.