woodshed caravan?

ive lots of firewood to store and dry out, i was thinking of using an old caravan perhaps with the windows taken out but then thought it would be too damp, shouldnt a wood store have more ventilation but been rain-proof, can i use the caravan or what design do the panel recommend for next year's firewood?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Basically you just need to keep the (worst of the) rain off. Any kind of open storage is good. Windswept to reduce humidity better. Sun exposed even better. I'm sure an old caravan would be fine, as would a bit of plastic sheeting weighted down on top of a log pile.

Reply to
dom

I use an old canvas topped landriver. It runs just enough to get down the garden to the raw pile of logs, and we cut a cople of weeks worth at a time.

Within two weeks the sopping logs are dry enough to burn easily.

In fact the sopping logs are still actually at lower moisture content than green wood, and if started with a little dry kindling, burne well enough once they stop hissing.

We have a system whereby its

fell and roughly stack completely exposed.. Leave a year minimum

Cut and split into landrover.

Take enough for a couple of days inside and stack in inglenook.

Burn.

There is no real need to keep teh rain off at all, apart from it being a bit of a sod to catch te wet wood. But its not GREEN wood, after a year.

All you need is some way to keep rain off for any wood store. Its less a matter of keeping dry, as a matter of retarding rot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I've noticed this. Some of my woodpile is under a dripping gutter, and as you say, it just makes them harder to start - but the core moisture content is ok.

There seems to be a similar effect from steam-bending wood, it seems to be dryer afterwards.

I have heard (but know nothing about) a technique for seasoning some timber (yew I think) by immersion in a river bed.

Reply to
dom

There's a theory that violins made by Stradivarius, Amati etc sound so good because the wood was seasoned in the (salt) lagoon at Venice.

Reply to
Another Dave

And there was I thinking it was some interaction between stain, shellac and varnish. :-)

Actually, that does sound a bit odd as Cremona is not too far from being the furthest from the sea you can get in Italy.

Reply to
Rod