Exterior paintwork

Good evening, I am reasonably good at DIY but I know what I don't know, and I'm at a bit of a loss regarding the exterior paintwork and general condition of my house. Some is in poor condition. Rather than try and describe it I have taken pics and put them up here:

house is late Victorian although of course the double glazing is much newer. Basically I need to know if I can just sand back the exterior paint, which appears to be extremely elderly, and re-apply. There are some holes and cracks. There is a reasonably large crack next to the fitted double glazing (last picture). Will this compromise the security of the glazing? many thanks dan

Reply to
Dan Welch

Looks like some fairly poor brickwork has been rendered over, woodwork replaced with mortar and the whole thing generally bodged.

Its very hard to tell whether the cracking is superficial, or structural.

I'd get a decent builder to look at it - if not several. And possibly a structural engineer just in case...

You could probably bodge most of it with render, exanding foam and a coat of paint, but someone someday will need to 'cut back to good, make good and decorate'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

have better ideas than me on this subject.

The question I would raise however is whether this time of year would be right for taking on this sort of job? I would have thought you needed warmer and drier weather for external painting - however I may be wrong.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Hi

To be honest these pictures are not helpful, in that we have no idea where these cracks run or what we're looking at in the pictures. An overview would have been sensible.

Your pic files are data-ly enormous, I wont be going back to them. It doesnt seem like youve made any effort to consider others.

But I did spot one uhoh. It looks like your uPVC is fitted in rotten wood frames: this is a famous bodge that causes the wood to rot and thus the windows to become none too well attached.

Did you have the windows put in?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The replies you got were not very helpful for a DIY group were they. Are you having difficulty in replying or have they put you off?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I've been away which is why I haven't replied! I would have appreciated more constructive help - N Thornton seems to have got out of bed the wrong side, in particular - but at least I had one thing confirmed - it does look like a bodge job and no, I didn't put the windows in. I think I'll take the combined advice to get a builder to look at it in the spring. thanks to those who helped cheers dan

Reply to
Dan Welch