Caravan electrics.

What is the norm on them these days?
A mixture of 12V from a leisure battery and 230V for when there is a 230V hook up. Inverters?
Caravans are IMHO just things that I normally queue behind on the A64 or overtake if I get a chance.
This one is in Bristol and needs a rewire. So apart from hogging the middle lane of the M5 on my way to get to Britol do any caravanners have any tips on the best way to do caravan electrics?
--
Adam

On 12/08/2019 19:46, ARW wrote:

with a blowtorch mostly

--
“when things get difficult you just have to lie”

― Jean Claud Jüncker
On 12/08/2019 19:46, ARW wrote:

Dunno, but here's a start: https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/131402-full-rewire/
The question is what GBH has been done to it that makes it in need of a rewire in the first place? From what I recall they tend to have inverters in the posher ones but this only feeds certain outlets and has dire warnings about max load and devices that need very good sine waves etc. A lot of lighting was low voltage on a different circuit. There were also all sorts of switching choices about the leisure battery or batteries and some use just big deep discharge lead acid while others were more sophisticated with other types of battery. Some even had wind generators and solar cells fitted. Its seems to me that you could pimp up your grockle box with expensive add ons. Brian
--
----- --

I doubt you’ll get many caravans with inverters to provide 240V “off grid” due to the lack of engine charging to top them up frequently. Theoretically you could of course fit one but I don’t think you’d get much use from it. A bit pointless when there’s no shortage of 12V electrical appliances for caravans.
The only thing I’m pretty sure about is that you don’t use solid cored cable for mains. It all has to be multi-stranded.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Not for mains 'permanent' wiring. Everything up to 20 amps (including ring circuits) is single solid core twin and earth nowadays.
--
Chris Green
·

On 12/08/2019 22:11, Chris Green wrote:

The regs don't permit class 1 solid copper in caravans.
--
Robin
On 12/08/2019 22:48, Robin wrote:

I wasn't sure. I know boats are obliged to use multi-stranded cable. It does make 90mm^2 cable pleasantly flexible!

You're probably correct, I hadn't really put my thinking hat on properly when I said that. However I'd quite like to know which regs. Is there actually stuff in BS7671 about caravan wiring?
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green wrote:

From 17th ed (as I don't have 18th ed)
721.421.2
The wiring systems shall be installed using one or more of the following:
(i) Insulated single-core cables, with flexible class 5 conductors, in non-metallic conduit.
(ii) Insulated single-core cables, with stranded class 2 conductors (minimum of 7 strands), in non-metallic conduit.
(iii) Sheathed flexible cables.
Andy Burns wrote:

Make that 721.521.2, the perils of non-copyable PDFs

Thanks, it's good to see the actual requirements. I've used sheathed flexible in our boat (mostly the same rules as caravans etc. for such a similar environment).
I assume the flex/multistrand requirement is to cope with more movement and vibration.
--
Chris Green
·

On 13/08/2019 08:52, Andy Burns wrote:

It's not what cables to use that bothers me. It's more what advances are there in making it more user friendly. I had never even considered that all the lighting should be 12V.
I have never towed one, never slept in on and never rewired one. The closest I have come to working on one was the PAT testing of South Yorkshire Police mobile CCTV vehicle. Unfortunately that set on fire when I switched on the vans 230V supply.
--
Adam

On 14/08/2019 19:07, ARW wrote:

Hmm, there is a whole debate there.
Most modern ones have a 'smart' box which controls various things, including a user control panel. Just how much of functionality is required is open to debate. You could implement most things with just switchers and simple sensors (for water level, voltage sensing etc). No need for LCD displays and menus. Perhaps a simple voltmeter.
If you look on YouTube, there are videos where people have done their own conversions and wired up simple but adequate electrical systems without using a commercial controller.
On 14/08/2019 19:50, Brian Reay wrote:

I might be overestimating what she wants.
--
Adam

Well that's the key thing. If it needs a rewire is it an older caravan? Does she just want basically what she has now.
Her caravan will be plated as NCC approved. https://www.thencc.org.uk/the_ncc/aboutNCC.aspx As a diy job it is not difficult., just as rewiring your house isn't difficult. It's the certification bit that causes the problems esp when it comes to insurance.
Can I suggest that you call in at a caravan dealership and have a look at a few new caravans so you will see the sort of things which are current on the electrical side.
Then go back to your client and establish just what she wants. If it's a major upgrade then I would be inclined to advise you as a professional to decline.
--
bert

On 14/08/2019 21:05, bert wrote:

Bert, you know I said it was a woman in my local pub asking about rewiring her sister's caravan in Bristol. Well she was in the pub again last night and had had a few too many. It turns out it's her caravan (although it is in Bristol and officially her sister owns it) she has just not told her husband yet.
It's a 1960's caravan and is fucked.
--
Adam

Probably just needs a few new gas mantles and the chemical toilet emptying then. ;-)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 16/08/2019 18:42, Tim+ wrote:

I am trying to get some photos of it.
--
Adam

On 16/08/2019 19:05, ARW wrote:

And at some point towing up to Barnsley. It has been mentioned that my car is equipped for towing..........
--
Adam