What is happening with these electrics?

For years I have had a problem with the electrics tripping at random, never been able to pin it down to a device or segment of the ring. But now I have a halogen heater that is guaranteed to trip the RCD on the faulty ring, so I can use this to test segments of the ring and by a process of trail and error find the problem area.

My question is: The halogen heater trips the RCD when I plug it in to any of wall sockets except the two closest to the RCD. When I plug it into either of these two sockets it doesn't come on. There is power there but the heater does not heat.

What is going on?

Reply to
Rednadnerb

How do you know there is power there? Do those sockets work with other appliances? If so, what type?

I keep these in my mobile toolboxes:

which is a cheap, quick, and dirty socket tester that shows all the possible connection faults (but of course not the clever stuff that a proper electrician would test).

Reply to
newshound

Perhaps these two don't have the earth wire fitted? Best have a look.

Or they're on another circuit?

Reply to
Fredxx

Actually they are quite a handy tool to have. It will not show a NE reversal but an RCD powering the socket will!

I have the Kewteck Kewcheck103 (about £13) and use it a lot. It's main advantage for me is that it bleeps. Brilliant for identifying a circuit on an unlabelled CU without having to keep running and looking at the display.

Reply to
ARW

Does anything else run in those sockets? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes I think I'd be in there and looking for carbonised socket parts myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Quite right about NE reversal, my mistake. I have PME so I need a screwdriver to check that!

Reply to
newshound

I have the kewcheck 107, it can check reversal (by using a finger as a capacitive earth reference) also gives a R/A/G check of the earth loop, and a basic RCD functionality check.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Clever. If I was starting over, I'd be tempted, but mine probably only comes out once a year now.

Reply to
newshound

Fluke have recalled their range of this type of tester.

Graham.

Yes, I noticed this 'voluntary' recall

Probably less painful than a cattle prod though :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interesting, I can't quite decide whether the cheap type that I posted might behave the same.

Reply to
newshound

The final Socket'n'See type that he tested, looks identical to the Kewcheck107

Reply to
Andy Burns

=3D0

You can buy things called energy meters which you plug in then plug an a= ppliance into that. They're intended to work out how much an appliance = costs to run, but would also be handy to sense a voltage drop when you p= lug in a heater.

-- =

Why are there 5 syllables in the word "monosyllabic"?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I cannot find any reference that it can do a NE reversal check.

Reply to
ARW

You're right, it checks for upstream (e.g at meter) L/N reversal, not N/E reversal.

Reply to
Andy Burns

So it's a piece of shit then?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The technical term for a piece of shit is "apprentice".

They cannot perform the simplest tasks you ask them to do (parents need shooting).

There is nothing wrong with a 107 tester.

Reply to
ARW

Were you ever an apprentice, or did you miss that stage of maturity?

Reply to
Fredxx

Why would that change the fact he stated?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword