What is happening with my electrical system ?

Could anyone offer and explanation or thoughts as to what is happening with my electrical system.

Whenever the washer and kicks into another stage of the wash cycle or the central heating boiler starts to ooperate or the wife switches a kettle on, there seems to be a bit of a problem insomuch as the lights dim.

NEDL recently had to enter our property in order to put a new cable into the next doors house as it had blown in the ducting under the floors. I live in a hjouse that has a house each side and the main electric cable enters my house where it is then branched off to the house eitherside. Fused at my house and then fused at the other houses.

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Poor connection at the supply head.

Get NEDL back pronto.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Does the same thing happen if you switch the kettle on?

I assume when the lights dim, they then remain constant until the load changes again, ie, it isn't momentary.

Your neighbours are running a cannabis farm and sucking up all the juice for lighting/ventilation - that's how they blew the lot in the first place?

Otherwise, if it has only been happening since the recent work, I''d agree you need to get distribution company back to check cabling and connections coming into your house and neighbouring houses. They should be able to measure the current ingoing to your consumer unit and see what is happening when you alter the load.

Any private electrician could only measure the light and power sockets and confirm what you observe.Only the distribution company can (legally and officially) deal with what is being pumped into your house. They are your first port of call.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

IF you have a multimeter, you could measure the voltage on and off load.

Reply to
Skipweasel

"harry" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@fx12g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... On Jan 16, 2:37 pm, Owain wrote:

Here's an update on the problem that I have been having. Sorry this is a little long. Due to being extremely busy this last few weeks, I tended to leave the dimming light problem for awhile. Every morning I read the gas and electric meters. I like to know the daily power consumption, this is another story which I may tell you all about another time. About 9 days ago I was reading the electric meter and I have a sizzling, but put it down to the earing aids playing up. Last evening, the lights started flashing rapidly. We have the old type bulbs in part of the house so it was more apparent than in the other part where we have the energy bulbs.. The flashing was about 100 faster tahn that of a car indicator. Time to investigate. I switched all the power off and then individually switch each circuit back on. As soon as the kitchen circuit was switched on there was a pop and a sizzling sound. Couldn't smell anything. Only item on in kitchen was the fridge. switched circuit off, got down on floor and switched circuit back on again, pop sizzle, this time I found it was the main cutout as NEDL call it. Called NEDL who were here within an hour. It turns out that the electricians who originally came to see to install a new power cable for next door, mains in my house feeds house either side, had not tightened the neutral up on next doors supply, the main busbar was loose, the fuse that they renew for next door had not been fitted into the carrier correctly, it was loose, and the carrier not inserted into the cutout properly, hence flashing lights. Everything is ok now, but the electrician who came to do the job last night is passing the job on so we get a totally new NEDL cutout because he is not happy with the old one fitted. He told us that we should have a master switch fitted after the meter in order for the household to isolate the mains should any work need to be done, because at the moment we only have a trip switch. This is my responsibility. Question! Which should I get and where from. He said the contractors may fit it at the same time as fitting the new NEDL cutout. Kindest regards, Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Another question. We have a digital meter, not a smart meter, just an ordinary digital meter. Could the rapid impulses from the mains fault have made the meter readings wrong ? Jim

Reply to
the_constructor