What type of "System" do I have in my House?

When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these terms are very confusing. I was wondering if someone more knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

I've checked the water heater, and I have a ruudglas pacemaker dv p400v. I was told when I bought the house that I have an "Apollo" System for heating and air conditioning. My air conditioning unit outside the house says it is a Janitrol.

When someone asks me what type of water heater do you have, gas or electric or heat pump or forced air or apollo system, etc. How should I answer them?

Thanks

Reply to
samadams_2006

When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these terms are very confusing. I was wondering if someone more knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

I've checked the water heater, and I have a ruudglas pacemaker dv p400v. I was told when I bought the house that I have an "Apollo" System for heating and air conditioning. My air conditioning unit outside the house says it is a Janitrol.

When someone asks me what type of water heater do you have, gas or electric or heat pump or forced air or apollo system, etc. How should I answer them?

Thanks

Reply to
samadams_2006

When I'm asked to explain what type of "System" I have in my house, I'm at a loss for words as to how to explain it properly. They ask: Gas or Electric? Heat Pump? Forced Air? Oil Heater? Apollo? All these terms are very confusing to me. I was wondering if someone more knowlegeable in these areas could help me out.

[...]

For house heating you have a number of options...you can have direct electric heat (which works like an electric oven or hair dryer), an electric heat pump, a heater that burns oil, or a heater that burns natural gas (generally known as just "gas"). In Canada, gas furnaces are probably the most common, as natural gas is cheaper than electricity.

"forced air" just means that it has a fan to blow the hot air around.

The "ruudglas pacemaker dv" appears to be a gas water heater made by Ruud/Rheem. Couldn't find the "p400v" on their website though.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

We can narrow down some functions.

I don't see that model listed on the Ruud cross reference sheet at all. The number follows the conventions of their gas water heater models and is probably a 40 gallon.

Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water. Since you have a central AC, I'm going to guess that you have a hot air furnace. Since the water heater seems to be gas, you probably have a gas furnace. You can easily verify this by first, knowing you do have gas, second, by following the piping from the meter to the heaters.

If you have an outside AC condenser, you probably have a furnace inside. Does the furnace have burner in it? If so, it is either gas or oil. In no, it is electric.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Apollo is the name of the investment firm which bought out privately held Goodman furnace. Goodman was the maker of the Janitrol label (and others).

Goodman makes gas furnaces. You can get the furnace model # off the nameplate on the furnace itself and research that.

for more history.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'm surprised you didn't find out this information when you were thinking about buying the house. How long have you lived there?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In some lines of endeavor, a "fishing expedition" query like yours would get a response like "did you RTFM?" Meaning: did you do _any_ homework on this, or are you expecting it all on a plate, for free?

No offense intended, but it's your house, and to your benefit to be able to manage its affairs. As a result of having some understanding of what's going on. Any helpful neighbors? Home-Economics classes at local high school? DIY references at library? They won't come to you.

Various trades people, on sensing such naivete, might mistake you for "Ben Dover", which you likely don't want.

barry

My Dad built the house we were raised in. He put in a forced air heating system, "The best money can buy," as he described it.

For years, whenever he referred to the forced air system, I thought he was saying "four star."

It's been my goal ever since to have a house with a five star heating system, but the bugger's been god-awful hard to find.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

"I decline to answer" always works.

Who's asking this type of question and why do they want to know?

Reply to
HeyBub

Frank Warner wrote in news:151120061418591534% snipped-for-privacy@verizonDOTnet.net:

...or you kept wondering what's the deal with this 4th stair :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy