whats happening with bulb?

having a bit of trouble getting a screw in bulb to connect with holder properly. While fiddling about (bulb not lighting up at the that point) when I put power on there was a couple of little blue flashes of light from the join between the glass of the bulb and the metal base. Whats happening there then? Or did I miss see it?

Reply to
The Reid

You have a bad bulb.

Ditch it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

right, didnt know they did that!

Reply to
The Reid

The metal screw on screw ins is part of the circuit. Typically one of the wires from the glass envelope is spot welded to the screwy bit. Or as in your case, *not* spot welded.. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And sometimes the spot is a large blob and can prevent the bulb screwing into the socket completely.

Reply to
EricP

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:40:43 GMT, EricP mused:

And also some lampholders don't actually match the pitch etc.. of all lamps.

To sum up, you have a crap lampholder and\or lamp.

Reply to
Lurch

i'm inclined to feel that way about screw lamps, screw em, I say!

Reply to
The Reid