Best DIY gadget alert

The most useful DIY gadget that I have bought in the last year came from Lidl and its called an "Adjustable DIY support". Its perfect for situations where you could really do with having a third hand, like putting up a shelf. Its lightweight and easy to erect and is a sort of toy Acro

Next Thursday at Lidl they will be on offer again for 6.99 should anyone feel inspired by my sales pitch to buy one

What I would like now is to be able to buy a shorter version of the same thing (is anyone from Lidl reading this?)

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

I bought 2 of them at the same time as you. They will carry 20kg and are good enough for plasterboarding ceilings. They are light enough to tie together at the ends of a batten so if your 'assistant' is as dim as a 10 watt bulb they could operate the clamps without too much yelling from you. They would also be useful for wide clamping jobs when gluing framework by bracing against a wall.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

You can make a dead man prop for next to nothing - work well for ceilings:

John Rumm

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:35:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@freeukisp.co.uk (Anna Kettle) mused:

I think 'best DIY gadget' is a bit of a red herring, IMO the best DIY gadget is the Fein Multimaster. I reckon I could skip all the other tools in the van\shed\garage and keep that and not lose any profitability or productivity. :)

Reply to
Lurch

I've got one as well Anna and I agree, really useful when working alone. I'd also like a shorter version!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How you do bring back the memories!

I once worked building schools with a county council and I must have fitted half a dozen 'artic' trailers full of plasterboards to various walls and ceilings with the trusted help of a "dead man" - and 31 years later, I still hate the bloody stuff! :-)

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Most handy men have a hacksaw! Drivel will sell you one if you haven't.

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" wrote in news:f8b1r1$ulc$1 @news.datemas.de:

No, he won't.

It's in use!

mike

Reply to
mike

He has a toolbox full of them...all sizes, shapes and colours. Nothing else, mind...

Reply to
Bob Eager

i thought it was where he kept all the brochures he gets sent when he spends his afternoons filling out 'requests for information' in the noddy annual adverts? Or is it the 'Boys Own Book of Plumbing?'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd agree.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Book of Experiments by Leonard de Vries.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hey! I've got a copy...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Hmm. I can't be a diyer then. Not only do I not have a Fein Multimaster I don't actually know precisely what it is. (Yes I know the information is only a google away but I can't be bothered).

FWIW the tool that has given me most help over the last quarter century has been a cement mixer. Ironically in the end it didn't cost me anything except some agro. I ordered one from an advert in Exchange & Mart and the first one that turned up had a bloody great ding in the bowl so I asked for it to be replaced. The second was so out of shape that the bowl wouldn't even rotate as was the third. The third was in any case someone else's part assembled reject.

After some hassle I got my money back but the reject mixer stood outside my house for over a year before I decided it wasn't ever going to be collected so I might as well make see what I could do with it. After a half day with a couple of car jacks and a big hammer I trued it up enough to get it rotating without jamming the rack and surprisingly it has survived to this day having mixed at least 30 cubic yards of concrete as well as several tons of mortar.

I still have the garden spade I used to use before the mixer, the of blade which was once 11" but is now only 4 1/2" long.

Reply to
Roger

But they worked; Dribble's plumbing doesn't.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Tch! Google 'spade' you idle bugger :)

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

So how does it drill holes in masonry? Check for electrical continuity? Drive screws?

(That said, it's been on my "shall I get one?" list for some time)

Reply to
Newshound

I did loads of them and they were good fun.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You should. Best thing I've bought for a long time.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Still are:

Adam Aglionby