What color exactly is the new UK passport? Blue or black?

I juat received my new passport. It took two weeks from start to receipt.

BUT it's black!

All that aggro with Brexit to regain a blue one. What is the world coming to?

Reply to
pinnerite

It's Pantone 5395C. In HTML terms, it's #1C1E29.

Which is black with a very slight blue tint.

Priti Patel calls it "a return to thge iconic blue". Which is a lie.

Reply to
Bob Eager

To my eyes, my wife's new 'blue' passport is exactly the same colour as my old 'black' one.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

My daughter was rather annoyed when she renewed her passport - it's the same colour as her US one, which makes it harder to pull out the correct one, quickly.

Reply to
S Viemeister

We didn't need to leave the EU to have blue passports. The burgundy colour was only recommended. Croatia has retained black passports.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Sacre Bleu, made in Poland by a Franco-Dutch company too.

Reply to
Andrew

I think the old blue one was a very dark blue; almost black. I think it used to be referred to in documents as "blue or black". I suppose that if the first time you saw it was in artificial light you would always think of it as black.

Reply to
Max Demian

You are right. I've just dug one out and the cover looks black, in both natural and artificial light. However, the background to all the pages is blue, rather than the pinkish colour of those in my EU passport.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Brexit was going to allow us to choose black or blue or whatever colour we liked. As it turns out the dominant Brexit colours are Black AND Blue.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

pinnerite snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted

It's come to the point where Remainers either don't or pretend not to remember that our passports used to be black, not blue.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

I still have my first one (issued fifty-one years ago later this year).

The overall impression is definitely black, but I think I can detect a little (stressed: only a little) blue in there.

Reply to
JNugent

I don't think I ever had a blue or black passport. In the eighties, I had a beige passport.

I used to fly around Europe a lot, it was for work, so I don't know if they had to do anything extra, but I don't think they did.

Funny, In one year alone, I used those yearly visitor passports more than I have used any of the proper ones in 10 years.

Reply to
Pancho

Very dark blue. But frankly, who cares?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some people do.

It isn't for me to criticise them for it.

Reply to
JNugent

For EU travel only, there used to be the option of a photo-id card which was canned when Cameron and Clegg got into power. No passport was needed, so much more convenient for most users.

Residents of the Irish Republic can still travel to the UK using a photo-id only (AFAIK).

Reply to
Andrew

It's only significant in that it demonstrates the incorrigible dishonesty of Remainers.

A moment's thought would show them that blue isn't a colour especially closely associated with Britain anyway. But most of them don't trouble to give it a moment's thought.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

Residents of the Republic of Ireland can travel to the UK without any ID, just as we can travel there. However, airport security require photo ID for security rather than immigration reasons. You can (and I have done so many times) travel by ferry without producing any ID. It is and was due to the Common Travel Area, which existed throughout the British Isles, long before the Common Market/EEC/ECC/EU.

Reply to
Steve Walker

A quick Google throws up lots of information on what ID is required these days. Unfortunately, some of it is rather contradictory. While officially there's no passport control, it appears that all carriers (including ferries) require some form of photo ID to travel - and some airlines even want a full valid passport. Immigration officials also might want acceptable proof of ID. If in doubt, it's probably best to check, and if you really want to be sure to be sure to be sure, simply take your passport (if you have one).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, pinnerite snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I'm pretty sure that my old pre 'EU Citizen' passports are very, very dark blue.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

...and the other way round, as long as the ID is acceptable to the carrier (I expect that a photo driving licence would suffice).

Reply to
JNugent