What color to paint workshop

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have done out there.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Witczak

Of coarse you can paint the shop any colour you like, but I think the main reason you will find most people paint the walls white is to reflex the light better. You will find that white walls will brighten up the place better. Another point to think about is that the colour of the walls also affect the look of the finish that you may be applying on a project in your shop.

Reply to
Glenn

if you have the light then any color you want,that said if you only have a few overhead florescent lamps then white may be the way to go. my shop has wall murals of woodshops on the walls and a white ceiling.

Reply to
leonard

Mine is white primer. Some day it may be a light blue. Light colors help with the lighting; just adding the sheetrock and primer on a couple of walls made a huge difference. . Blue and green are cheerful, gray is depressing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

While it may be interesting to think of more exotic colors, flat white has some very practical benefits. First, it makes a huge difference in shop lighting levels. Secondly, it provides a neutral background upon which you can judge the various shades of finishes you will be using.

Mark & Juanita

Mark Witczak wrote in news:33FId.44495$Tf5.38695 @lakeread03:

White's the best. It provides the bright reflected light you need, and it won't introduce false coloring that would be confusing for some finishing work.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Lotsa colors to choose from. I'd go with one of achromatic, achromic, blanched, bleached, chalky, frosted, milky, pallid, pasty, or maybe snowy.

Or you could just paint it white.

(Thanks to thesaurus.com.)

Reply to
Silvan

Coast Guard Orange

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

red hides the bloodstains real good...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I'm surprised nobody's suggested a gothic black theme, yet.

Reply to
The Dave©

White helps reflect more light. Some say off white is better. My shop is painted white. Whatever you select, at least the ceiling should be white. Use PVA (primer) first.

Reply to
Phisherman

White. The more light reflected by the walls and ceiling, the easier it is to find small parts when you drop them and they roll under the bench.

Doug Miller

The walls in my shop are semi-gloss white. Cleans easy enough and nice and bright. I do some auto repair too and if I get grease on the wall I just wipe it off. When it gets too bad I repaint. In 14 years I have painted 3 times total. The walls get dingy from dust and exhaust before the grease around the outlets is a problem. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I don't understand why you need to paint it. After all it's just a garage. Ron

Reply to
Ron

Hi Mark,

Well my shop is in the cellar with 3 very small windows so I need to make the best use of what light there is. Therefore mine is painted white. I have one wall that holds the tools over the bench and that's poly'd luan plywood.

I'm mostly Neander so i don't make a lot of dust but what there is, can show up on the wall - especially if I use the circular saur or the routah. Every once in a while I run the shopvac and swipe down the walls. Takes maybe 20 minutes.

Reply to
gregg

That raises another very good suggestion for a shop - close all of the toekicks and under-cabinet / under-bench spaces, it makes it so much easier to find things if you aren't looking under your bench in that

3" gap full of dust and industrial spider webs.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Reply to
Mark Witczak

hi mark, unfortunately I have no way of taking a picture of the walls but I can tell were to look for the murals.most paint stores that sell wallpaper have many different books of wall murals(Sherwood Williams is one of the big names but I found the wood shop murals in a wallpaper shop)

Reply to
leonard

Somehow I find your question sort of sad. Have people become so boring that they have to ask what color to paint, or so programmed that they have to follow the latest trend?

How about being unique, being individual, showing some personal expression of yourself. Who cares if everyone paints white. Personally, I think white is boring.However, as others said, it does add some light. But you dont have to paint EVERYTHING white. The house I used to own before I moved to a larger place, I had a workshop in the basement. Cinder block walls. I decided the gray block was dull and I wanted to liven it up the room, but not spend a fortune. I first installed some white ceiling tile. Then I bought a gallon of a light beige (off white) paint, and started at the top of the walls. I never realized how much paint cinder block sucks up and I ran out of paint after doing only the top 1/3 of the walls. It was late at night, the stores were closed, and I was out of paint. I took some old paint I had. Mixed some blues and greens and got a sort of aqua color (all flat latex), and I painted the next 3 blocks down with that stuff. That left the bottom two rows of blocks. I had a gallon of a darker gray semi gloss porch and deck enamel. I splashed a few brushfulls of that on the wall, and loved it. The bottom 2 blocks got that gray. Not only did I love the colors, but that porch and deck was real durable for those bottom blocks where all the abuse occurs to walls.

Reply to
me

as boring and programmed as you, your question, and posting name?

Reply to
effi