What color to paint workshop

I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white.

I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have done out there.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Witczak

Of coarse you can paint the shop any colour you like, but I think the main reason you will find most people paint the walls white is to reflex the light better. You will find that white walls will brighten up the place better. Another point to think about is that the colour of the walls also affect the look of the finish that you may be applying on a project in your shop.

Reply to
Glenn

if you have the light then any color you want,that said if you only have a few overhead florescent lamps then white may be the way to go. my shop has wall murals of woodshops on the walls and a white ceiling.

Reply to
leonard

Mine is white primer. Some day it may be a light blue. Light colors help with the lighting; just adding the sheetrock and primer on a couple of walls made a huge difference. . Blue and green are cheerful, gray is depressing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

While it may be interesting to think of more exotic colors, flat white has some very practical benefits. First, it makes a huge difference in shop lighting levels. Secondly, it provides a neutral background upon which you can judge the various shades of finishes you will be using.

Mark & Juanita

Mark Witczak wrote in news:33FId.44495$Tf5.38695 @lakeread03:

White's the best. It provides the bright reflected light you need, and it won't introduce false coloring that would be confusing for some finishing work.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Lotsa colors to choose from. I'd go with one of achromatic, achromic, blanched, bleached, chalky, frosted, milky, pallid, pasty, or maybe snowy.

Or you could just paint it white.

(Thanks to thesaurus.com.)

Reply to
Silvan

Coast Guard Orange

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

red hides the bloodstains real good...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I'm surprised nobody's suggested a gothic black theme, yet.

Reply to
The Dave©

|I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that |I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on |for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white. | | |I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have |done out there.

Depends on the color of the carpet you install. I actually had a neighbor once with carpet in the garage.

Seriously, as most everyone else said: white.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:24:04 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan spake:

Did someone mention pasties? Titillating! (Reminds me of Fran at The Body Shop in SD.)

There ya go. Satin/eggshell white. Bounces light around without the nastyarse glare of a gloss.

Wimp. Keep a copy of Roget on your desktop, as I do.

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My basement workshop is natural ceiling (floor joists & subfloor), and the walls are white with a blue strip for color.

Reply to
ToolMiser

White. The more light reflected by the walls and ceiling, the easier it is to find small parts when you drop them and they roll under the bench.

Doug Miller

I have no idea where my thesaurus is. I don't use it terribly often, since I do a pretty good job of serving as a walking thesuarus myself. I sought out a little help in orchestrating that particular bit of smartassery though, because I was drawing a blank on alternative ways to say "white."

Reply to
Silvan

\==================== Lol... In addition to woodworking I have 2 garages that I use to restore, repair and just tinker with cars... and yes my hands are generally greasy ... BUT from experience I can tell you that GREY shows dirt just as bad as white.... I masked off the area around all my door konbs and painted it BLACK and use only dark brown face plates on all my electrical switches and outlets...

BTW... I gave up wiping around the light switches long ago...life is just to short to worry about a "little" dirt.... NOW put a finger print on one of the cars and you will be in deep crap... lol Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

The walls in my shop are semi-gloss white. Cleans easy enough and nice and bright. I do some auto repair too and if I get grease on the wall I just wipe it off. When it gets too bad I repaint. In 14 years I have painted 3 times total. The walls get dingy from dust and exhaust before the grease around the outlets is a problem. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:45:04 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan spake:

Thesaurus.com served you well in that light, Minty.

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sat, Jan 22, 2005, 10:42pm snipped-for-privacy@acm.org (Mark=A0Witczak) claims: I'm insulating the walls in my garage/workshop and just realized that I'll need to paint the drywall when finished. So now the search is on for a color. Everyone I know has a garage painted white. I'm wondering if white is the best color available and what others have done out there.

Your money, your shop. Paint it Barney Purple if you want to.

Or, you could paint it the glossiest white you can find, walls, ceiling, floor, everything but the windows. Then you move your tools in, and hang stuff on the walls. All of a sudden it ain't so bright. Then you work for a few days, and get some sawdust everywhere. That dims it up a bit more. And that's when you realize why people use white paint.

JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get.

- Albert

Reply to
J T

I haven't got to it yet, but mine is going to be safety yellow. No getting tired in that, and it makes the place seem warmer. Of course, I just got done painting the kitchen mandarin orange, so your tastes may vary wildly. (BTW, the light reflected off bright orange really makes maple cabinets glow)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus