Insulating a shed/workshop

I'm thinking of having a custom workshop/shed built, 14Ft x 9Ft.

The shed will be built with 3" x 2" framing with an apex roof. I will be dealing with the insulation myself.

Which is the best method for this? fibreglass or polystyrene between the framing and either plywood or un-skimmed plasterboard for the walls?

The finished interior will have an emulsion paint finish.

I suppose plywood would provide a better finish (no taped joints) but plasterboard would be cheaper and easier to install.

Suggestions and opinions please.

PS

In an earlier thread someone mentioned insulating flooring from Costco can anyone elaborate?

Reply to
Count de Monet

Look at insulated plasterboard.

a few different types. The thicker ones approach the insulation of

100mm thick lightweight blockwork with a cavity.
Reply to
John Williamson

I'd certainly go for plywood behind the workbench (assuming you have these) so that you can put up hooks, etc. Or stirling board to save a bit of money?

Reply to
newshound

Nice (but too small ;-)

(I know I built one a tad under that size - and it was too small. So I have one that is 12x17' now, and that is also too small! ;-)

Interior lining of ply is better IMHO, it makes hanging and fixing stuff later so much easier. For insulation, seconds of PIR foam will give you the best bang for you buck probably, but polystyrene will work quite well in a sheltered location. My original one was 50mm poly insulation, and that was cheap and easy to heat, and comfortable to work in.

Yup, something light helps bound the light around as well.

There is not that much in it... cheap shuttering ply works as a lining, and once given a couple of coats is adequate.

This was my first attempt:

John Rumm

motivation for a forthcoming project in 2011! Thanks John.

re the insulation, Count da Money: don't know how much use this is to you, but recently I insulated _the roof_ of a freezing garage for a friend (she was using it as a workshop) by (1) filling between the rafters with the extremely cheap (£1 a roll) insulation from B&Q) (2) Sealing that insulation in by nailing[1] extremely expensive Celotex boards (£17.50 a sheet, 2400x1200x25mm) to the rafters. This gives double insulation, and a spectacular silver ceiling, which makes the garage much brighter.

John

[1] Used clout nails combined with "penny washers".
Reply to
Another John

I would use polystyrene between the framing, cut it very carefully, and ignore the cold bridging problem around the frame itself. It's only a shed - you can afford to lose a little heat here and it gives you an inch or two compared to insulated plasterboard above the frame. PIR foam is a bit too expensive.

I wouldn't use any sort of plasterboard, just because of the risk of impact damage in a shed.

I might use heavy plywood behind the bench as a toolrack, but what I actually did in mine was simply to keep with the thin ply and just make sure I had plenty of battens behind it. Mark their positions at the too too!

Mine is just OSB, laid over that grey closed-cell foam underlay that's both slightly insulating and also pretty good as a moisture barrier. Overlap the joints by a few inches. I had an existing slab to deal with, but for a suspended floor, I'd probably use more polystyrene underneath.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Interesting, what was the approximate cost of the project?

Reply to
Count de Monet

I've found seconds of 50mm Kingspan for £10/sheet but you have to collect from mid-wales

Reply to
nicknoxx

Here's mine

nicknoxx

From memory (twas a while ago now!) about £1200 for the workshop, of which approx £200 was for the electrics. That did not include the concrete slab though (which was done as part of a larger garden hacking about project).

There is a materials list here:

I were doing it again with what I know now, I would use PIR foam in place of poly since I have a local supplier that does it cheaply. I would use a couple of layers of torch on felt for the roof rather than titting about with nail prep and bonded layers.

Reply to
John Rumm

There is also a supplier in Benfleet[1] in Essex that does 8x4 seconds at about £12, and new at £14/sheet in 50mm. Discounts if you order a van load at a time.

[1]
folks to deal with - you get the best price first time every time, so no need to haggle!
Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Use the cheapest insulation you can get - I assume it's going to be unheated? - in which case you are merely keeping the frost out rather than the heat in.

Lining: don't use plasterboard of any kind in this situation - it damages too easily and soaks moisture from the air causing it to go brittle over time.

If you want the floor to be insulated, just use pir foam boards, say 50mm thick with a 'floating' plywood floor on top.

Reply to
Phil L

Crap accumulates to fill the space available, you know.

Our neighbour built one himself - it's around 30'x50' and two-story. Running water, UFH, toilet... utterly beautiful construction. It's gradually filling up with crap ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

What are OSB prices like there? It's around $8 for a 4x8' 1/2" sheet here, which I think runs at about 1/2 the price of 1/4" ply. I'd just go with that for walls, I think - it's still reasonably sturdy and will take some knocks, and it's quick and easy to replace if you did happen to put an enormous hole in it somehow.

My old 'shop is all T+G pine inside, but from the electrics and the remains of a ceiling I think someone was using it as living space at one point in time.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Cheaper than ply, except really thin one-face.

One problem with OSB is that there are two grades, the better grade suitable for roofing and flooring, and it's hard to find that from local builder's and timber merchants, as they don't appreciate the distinction.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It was just inside the door to the left! ;-) (I ran a CAT5 down there later for phone and data - at the time I never got round to connecting up the data as there was nothing in there to use it, the phone was on the PABX though so you could ring for "shed service" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed...

As do the boy toy tools, that needs lots of working space.

That sounds nice... not in the UK though I take it?

Reply to
John Rumm

A good deal more than that alas - probably more like £14 for a sheet if you want OSB3 (i.e. WBP). (its usually a bit cheaper than shuttering ply though)

Yup, its pretty tough IME.

Reply to
John Rumm