Shed/Workshop insulation and vapour barrier

I intend to insulation my timber framed shed/workshop with rockwool insulation and would like to know if I should put a vapour barrier between the insulation and the interior panelling, which will most likely be plywood?

at 09:48:31 on Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Lawrence Zarb

Plywood is unlikely be hfrshy as a vapour barrier.
--
Pedt

The panelling will be plywood not the vapour barrier!

I'd stick it outside the insulation.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]

    Nuh-uh. Probably not a real consideration here where the outside temp is above freezing much of the year, but at Mawson in '80 the insulation in the dongas was about 75% ice, in the outside layer, after years of water vapour diffusing through the styrofoam and freezing when it got to the outer bits. The one night we hit -33 C all the nailheads in the wall of my donga sprouted flowers of hoarfrost because the ice had reached the level of the tips of the nails. The new buildings that were being built had vapour barriers over the insulation to prevent this.
--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Glad to see you are taking note of the experiences of my forebear Sir Douglas <G>
There is a webcam at Mawson Sound so you can see for yourself how taxing the weather is.
A W E Mawson
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:44:29 -0000,

    The Home of the Blizzard. <brr!>

    Not sure if Mawson Sound is at Mawson Base or at Commonwealth Bay where the original Mawson Expedition huts are -- Google finds very few references. I was at Mawson Base which is nearly as windy as Commonwealth Bay -- our average wind speed was around 33 knots so the monthly wind run would have circumnavigated the Equator!

    Is your nickname "Shock and"? ;-)
--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Nice chilly view:
http://www.aad.gov.au/asset/webcams/mawson/default.asp
AWEM
What has all this got to do with inserting a vapour barrier in a shed?

You're the one who crossposted to the shed. What did you expect, on-topic answers? (insert smiley of choice here)
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:18:46 +0000 (UTC), "Lawrence Zarb"

Obvious really.
The vapour barrier relates to the insulation which relates to the shed. The purpose of the insulation in the shed is to make it a bit more cosy when out there in the winter.
The references to expeditions are a means of testing that. Begin with two people inside. After a short while, one says that he's going outside and that he may be some time. One would like to know how long that might be, in order to know whether to make two cups of tea or just the one.
--

.andy

shed?
bit
..perhaps he was going to get more teabags? <G>
AWEM
am_please_mawson.org.uk> writes

"I may get some Typhoo", he really said.
--
Roger Hunt

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:52:33 -0000,

    I barely recognise that -- we were building the Big Red Shed in '80 so that helps. Most of the coloured buildings are new, as is the wind turbine[1]. And it's not chilly, it's -7 C -- that's nearly shorts-'n'- shirts weather after nine months at -25.
[1] Went to a talk about renewable energy last week. In order to avoid unreliable gearboxes, wind turbines now use PM generators and will be using high-temperature superconductor coils by 2010, liquid-helium cooled. I guess that'd be easier to do at Mawson!
--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Dr Ivan D. Reid took things to extremes as usual:

This moose suspects it all deep ends on the tempera chewers on the two sides of the wall. We insulated our rifle range and put a vapour barrier (molished of cut-up dustbin bags stapled to the timber) on the outer wall (where rain was otherwise likely to blow in, it being ancient and very terrible overlapping planks), supported the insulation with stapled-up string, then added a liner of marine 3-ply on the inside. It jbexed very well, until the local scrotes burned the place down one night.....
It depends on where the vapour is coming from, and on if it can evaporate from the insulation without waterlogging it.
Cadbury Moose.
--
"There are some complaints that money can't buy. For everything else,
there's BastardCard. Accepted everywhere, especially with mallets."
Lawrence Zarb wrote:

Vapour barriers should be between the insulation and the warm damp air. There's probably not much point putting it inside the interior panelling however so between the interior panelling and the insulation would be favourite.
--
Malc

"Bother!" said Pooh, and hid Piglet's corpse
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:42:01 +0000 (UTC), "Lawrence Zarb"

Yes. However, do make sure that the space behind is ventilated and that the outer layer isn't allowing rain to penetrate first.
A hose and sprinkler played on the outside wall are helpful to determine this.
--

.andy

Thanks for the quick reply....This is a new build but I will check for "leaks".
What should the thickness should the membrane be...can I use polythene dust sheets, or should a get the "proper stuff" ?

Lawrence Zarb wrote:

Get proper Damp Proofing Membrane - and plan for some left over, for it's handy stuff to have around.
--
Ian White