Decorative columns for shed-workshop

We are building a new house including garage and a 16X20 shed- workshop. I had planned to build the shed myself but when the framing crew said they could build it for $300 plus materials, what could I say? I now have a 16X20 shed-workshop with Shaker roof, HardiPlank Siding, 35-yr architectural shingles that looks like a small version of the house.

The front roof extends out four feet -- the concrete slab is 20X26 and the shed sits on one corner of the slab giving me a 6 ft concrete porch on one end and 4 ft across the front. The trusses support all the weight of the overhang.

Sweet Thing says she wants white columns on the front of the shed -- I'm happy with the shed as it is but we all know how this discussion will end -- so -- I need columns -- 4X4, 8 feet tall, white.

-- Don't want to use treated 4X4 because my experience is that they tend to twist, warp, and split.

-- Sweet Thing has looked at the PVC sleeves that slide over a 4X4 and she thinks they are "too thin."

-- I thought I could find a 4X4 column made of 3/4-inch Azec but appears that no one makes such a thing.

-- Have found several places that sell substantial fiberglass columns but the smallest I can find is 6X6.

-- If it were left up to me, I'd get the 4X4 vinly sleeves that slide over a 4X4 and put them up without the 4X4 -- after all, it's only decorative -- but Sweet Thing has thrown the flag on that play.

-- Now I'm looking into a Douglas fir 4X4 that may avoid the warping and splitting that sometimes happens with PT SYP (We are living in a rented house with a shed that has four 4X4 cloumns on the front -- two of the four are warped and one of those has a split down the front.).

Any suggestions???

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Well seeing as you are not the one wanting that ornamentation (what will ya say to your mates when they come around ?) why not hand it over to the ST ? Sometimes these things have to be re-ciprocal ya know. Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

-snip-

I'd take the missus down to the local architectural salvage place- pick up a couple old turned columns from a house torn down- refinish them and collect whatever favors were due me. [Lowes sells them new, but that would be too easy.]

Round columns eliminate twisting- old [usually] eliminates splitting- and they'll have some character.

Or I could maybe talk her into some nice wrought iron columns that I could plant some vines on. ['I could build them myself, honey in the new workshop. . . . just need a couple tools is all. . . .']

Jim [oh- and BTW. . . 'you suck' for having an empty 16x20 shed]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Oh, don't worry -- it won't be empty for long. We are still building

-- finish interior painting early next week then start putting down hardwood floors; plumber finishes tomorrow; electrician tests the standby generator Tuesday; finish exterior painting next week; apply for cert of occupancy in three weeks and start moving out of rental house into the new house.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Why not look at Vinyl fence posts. They come in 100" lengths according to Lowes, and with a little ingenuity you could probably install them in a way that you could remove them if you wanted the area free and clear for a larger project. (I know the posts in my basement are ALWAYS right where I want my work to be!)

Reply to
Mark

I understand your dilemna completely. It happens all the time. It's when someone not planning or working on a project which they have no intention of using wants to change the specs for some persnickety reason.

My long-standing policy is to stop everything and say "You take charge of it."

In this case, you have a valid reason not to put install columns. It is best if you run your table saw on the concrete patio and the posts will get in the way of the lumber.

$300 plus materials is a really great deal. I got bids on a 10x15 storage shed and the low bid was $3,800 - without the concrete slab, $4,500 with it. Therefore, no shed.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

re: -- Sweet Thing has looked at the PVC sleeves that slide over a 4X4 and she thinks they are "too thin."

I'm confused. What does she mean by "too thin"?

"Too thin" in construction, something that won't be seen once they're installed or "too thin" in width such that 4 x 4 plus the sleeve doesn't look massive enough for her?

Reply to
DerbyDad03