OSB for Shed Siding (?)

Is OSB a good choice for exterior shed siding (painted)?

Reply to
croy

Most people think that it looks ugly. Painting will involve re-painting, every .. ? .. years. Depending on the size of the shed - board & batten might satisfy most people's esthetics. It's what I did for a few small garden sheds, over the years at different homes. My neighbour just replaced a large tin garden shed < ~ 14 ft. x 10 > that was on a nice concrete slab with a board & batten shed that stands a few feet taller and it looks & functions great. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Be sure to paint the edges, that is the most vulnerable area. See below.

OSB's other moisture challenge has to do with dimensional stability - in other words, OSB can irreversibly swell, especially at the edges, when it gets too wet. This is not a decay issue, but swelling can cause other difficulties in construction. ... In addition, OSB is bonded with waterproof adhesives.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

OSB is prone to moisture absorption and swelling. You'd have to paint all 6 sides with oil-based paint to help keep that from happening. I would not do it, unless you want to patch in perpetuity. As an alternative, I just built a shed (9x16) last year and used 19/32" thick T1-11 siding. I chose the thicker panel because the thinner one (11/32") felt like I'd punch through if I accidentally hit it while parking the lawnmower or something. I painted two (2) coats of white oil based primer ("Zinsser Cover Stain 1 gal. White Oil-Based Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer" from Home Depot or Lowes) on outside and 4 edges, and 1 coat on inside. Oh, and the whole thing is min 9" off the ground, built on concrete sonotubes, to keep the splashback from the ground/soil from rotting out the bottom of the facade or structure. And, I included Z-channel metal flashing on the panels at gable ends, also to help protect against water entering an edge. Looks beautiful after one northeast winter, and is built like a tank. My method is definitely not as cheap as using OSB, but I'll be living here for quite some time and wanted it done once and right, without regrets.

Reply to
Theodore

to be clear: I painted two coats on outside and 4 edges OF EACH PANEL, and 1 coat on inside OF EACH PANEL. It took quite some time, but again, I've _no_ regrets.

Reply to
Theodore

It is better as a base for some kind of siding with a good vapor barrier and flashing to route water away.

Reply to
gfretwell