OSB ok for concrete forms?

I am going to make a concrete garden curb about 4" thick by 8" wide and I am looking around my shed for some form material and found some 1/4" OSB. I can rip 4" pieces for forms, will it work for one time use? I have some used motor oil I could coat it with.

Reply to
daisy

Sure, should work well for that.

You should be able to turn off the AVG advertising. Check your settings.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What are you going to support it with? Mud is heavy. I was involved in one project where the architect tried to use homasote for forms. There was a lot of it laying around and it was cheaper than real forms with cross ties. It didn't work well.

Reply to
rbowman

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The OP is going to buy a bunch of 2x8's to support the 1/4" forms. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Bernie (the priest/architect who designed the house) just about had a heart attack when I went out the next day and bought plywood and ties for real forms. I was doing my best to not be a I-told-you-so. Even the truck driver shook his head and said it wouldn't hold. "Sure it will!" The plan wasn't to pour a concrete floor in the basement, at least not that day. We tried to screed the mess off but weren't set up to do so, so it was a rough mess when it hardened. Throw in rental of a concrete grinder to get it sort of smooth.

A couple of episodes like that and the diocese told Bernie to hit the road and hired a real contractor to finish the project.

Reply to
rbowman

OSB would be fine for a one time use, but the 1/4" material will probably be too flexible unless you really brace it well with lots of stakes.

I poured a 7" wide x 8" high curb using some leftover 1/2" CDX plywood. Even that flexed under the pressure of the concrete leaving a bit of a wavy face to the curb.

If you want to use the 1/4" material, I would double it up for extra strength and support it well with lots of stakes. For straight runs I would back it up with 2x material.

Good luck,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

My thought is 4x8 is going to crack up pretty fast anyway. I would dig out another 4" or so under this so you are looking at ~8x8 and drop a piece of #3 rebar in there. (staked up so it is in the middle of the

8x8).
Reply to
gfretwell

Backfill before pouring? The form will compost away in a month or two....

Reply to
clare