2 cables of ceiling light

Hi, I hope this question does not bore you. I found some similar questions but none actually sort out my problem.

I bought a new IKEA light fitting and its electrical box has 4 holes (2 for N and 2 for L). The instruction said to put 1 N to N and 1 L to L. And I saw many videos online doing the same thing. God bless them for having a simple wiring system.

Mine is different. I have two cables (each has 3 N/L/E). I know that one of them is for the switch while the other is for the consumer unit. I tried different combination:

1) Putting only the consumer cable in --> the light is always on. The switch does not work 2) Putting only the switch cable --> the light is not on. 3) Putting both of them in, 2 N from the two cables go to 2 N holes. Likewise, 2 L from the two cables go to 2 L holes. --> The light is on even when the light switch is not on. When I turn the light switch on, the light goes off and the main switch (of the room) switches off as well (meaning the combination is causing some conflict).

I tried different combinations of the third (changing the order of the two N and the two L) but none working.

Can someone please help?

Reply to
Le Bui

Scott Lurndal

N is neutral. L is what? Low? E is electromotive force?

Perhaps you should put the N of one cable in , and the L of the other cable. And then connect the remaining L and N with a wire nut.

But it would sure help to know what E is first. .

And I'd do t h is with the swtich off and the fuse or circuit breaker off, then stand back when you turn them on because I don't know what N, L, or E is.

when the light switch is not on. When I turn the light switch on, the light goes off and the main switch (of the room) switches off as well (meaning the combination is causing some conflict).

I think you have a NO and FFO switch.

Reply to
micky

First are you in the US/Canada?

If so I will assume you are looking at a black Line, white Neutral and bare wire Earth (ground)?

What was there before?

If this is a normal US wired box with one hot 2 wire + ground cable coming in and the other 2 wire + ground cable going to the switch you would connect the neutral from the hot to the light, the black hot to the white switch leg wire (reidentified black) and the black from the switch leg to the light. If there is a red wire in there we need to start over.

Reply to
gfretwell

micky pretended :

Neutral, Line, and Earth most likely.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

If we conflict, go with Fritterwell here.

Reply to
micky

It sounds to me like he has two 14-3 w/g at the octagon box for the light.

Which means it's probably a three-way switch.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

He has two 14-2 cables by my count. I don't see anything that indicates it's a three way situation. Why don't people who are unfamiliar with wiring mark what they take apart? It's also a safety issue.

Reply to
trader_4

He said "I have two cables (each has 3 N/L/E)" (where I presumed the E stood for Extra), implying a three-wire cable.

Perhaps he meant "E" was ground, but he probably shouldn't be messing with the wiring if that's the case.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The part that raises the hair on the back of my neck is the approach of "I don't know how to hook this up so I'll just try different combinations and see what happens."

Reply to
Jim Joyce

And what kind of lighting fixture has 4 holes in it for wires? The OP said " new IKEA light fitting and its electrical box has 4 holes (2 for N and 2 for L). The instruction said to put 1 N to N and 1 L to L."

It sounds like you conect the power to two of them and the switch to two of them -- I never heard of that, but it could work. However there must have been longer instructions than what was given.

And of course how is the OP going to know which wire is Line, which wire is Neutral, and which is Earth. Are the colors the same where these words are used?

Reply to
micky

Most of the non US, english speaking world calls ground "Earth" that is why I asked if he was in the US/Canada. If you are NZ/Oz the wiring is similar to US but different color code and 230v L/N. In UK they use ring circuits that are a whole nother breed of cat.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is New Zealand and presumably Australia, maybe Rod can verify that. Red is Line, Black is Neutral and Green is Earth

gfretwell

Since he said "consumer unit", he is most likely located in the UK.

Reply to
Keith S.

According to

Blue is N (Neutral)

Brown is L Line, single-phase

Notice the wires leaving the block appear to be Blue & Brown.

So both Blues to N, and both Browns to L, tie the grounds together

Reply to
Anonymous

Hi, I did that (i.e. Both Blues to N and both Browns to L), the light is on but when I press the switch (either on or off), there is an electric shock which triggers the electricity of the house turn-off.

Reply to
Le Bui

What switch ?? Did you not get installation instructions with this thing ? What is IKEA model name /number of this light ? What was attached to these wires before ?

Maybe it is time to get professional help on-site

Reply to
Anonymous